on the quest for a jon boat motor, what to do? supe it up or wut....

footballplaya

Recruit
I'm looking for a jon boat motor. i'm also confused on what i need to get. the jon boat is 14 ft, high sides, heavy duty model.. i think it is proly rated for a 20-25 hp motor.. i will be using it for trout lines and running up and down the river.. should i get an evinrude??? or a jonhonson.. i'm so confused, i'd like aused motor seeing as i don't have any money.. you guys have any suggestions?? or even amotor for sale..

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: on the quest for a jon boat motor, what to do? supe it up or wut....

If you’re looking for something that will get you on the water cheap and now and that’s your #1 objective you should grab the first good condition, running 9.9 to 25 horse power motor you can get your hands on.<br /><br />The 9.9 won’t be the best against river currents but I’ve run an 8 hp on a few small jons on the Susquehanna River and had no problems. I wouldn’t win a race but it would plane the boat on lakes, calm water or with the current, against the current it worked a little harder.<br /><br />The other extreme a 25 hp will he heavy and raise the front of the boat considerably, there are things you can do to combat that but it will always be an issue. If you could get your hands on a 15 hp I think that would do just about everything you want and well.<br /><br />Of course just grabbing the first one to come along may have its problems. If I was looking for a used motor I would try and get the newest my money would buy, parts availability and a dealer close by for service would be a big consideration.<br /><br />Just one man's opinion, good luck on your search! ;)

boatsnmate 1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: on the quest for a jon boat motor, what to do? supe it up or wut....

Fleet marine in Steger IL.has a74 jonhson 15hp. in great shape for $350.00