On Dock Baitwell

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am building a baitwell out of plywood and fibergalss to sit on my dock. The plywood part is done. I wan tto coat it in epoxy and fibergalss cloth. Where is the best place to get good, inexpensive resin? Also where is a good place to get cloth? I am most likeley going to buy it by the gallon. I have fibergalssed before, but I used some stuff we had on hand.<br />Sonny

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: On Dock Baitwell

Thanks CCrew. For Fiberglassing vertical(straight up and down) surfaces and horizontal(flat bottom) surfaces would you recomend thin or thick resin?<br />I really appreciate your help.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Sonny, <br />I've found that the thin resin works fine on vertical surfaces, only if there's a layer of cloth, mat, etc. It'll go on fine, but as it starts to "fire" when the hardener kicks in the viscosity drops and it will run.. <br /><br />If you're resin coating vertical bare wood, go with the thick. If you're going to go with something like the 1 1/2 oz mat or cloth (which really should have mat on top and bottom) the thin will be fine. <br /><br />In 70 degree temps w the medium hardener you'll find that it takes 4-6 hours to go to a tack, is pretty much perfect to the touch at 18 hours, and truly takes 3 days to go fully hard. Raise the temp by 10 degrees and the times about halve. If you're just trying to waterproof the inside of a box, I'd cut all the pieces, resin coat them in two coats laying flat, assemble, then put 2-3 layers of mat inside where you want to waterproof. If you do it that way you could just use the thin for all. <br /><br />If you have technical questions, they're a great company, don't hesitate to ask them. Service and shipping is quick too. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer!<br /><br />-Roger

Bondo

Staff member

Or, How about a wire bait tank tied to the dock..... Your bait will be Fresher,+ You won't have to pump water to keep them Alive......

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

or a plastic liner like the ones they use in small<br />fish ponds?

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bondo and Mellow Yellow for your replies. ABut I already have the plywood put together. I want to do this so I can keep an eye on them instead of taking them in and out of the water. Also I just needed a winter project! Thanks

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use to have the page saved (key word use to) but it may be helpful to do a search for building aquariums. I found (with relative ease) plans for a plywood one with a glass front that could be changed with ease to all plywood. You did not need to wrap it with cloth, ect.. Just paint the boards with a special paint, and epoxy the joints.<br /><br /> The plans were for a 50 gal. but could and were easy to coustmize.