On Board Charger

ok, so my new boat arrives in 5 more weeks and im trying to figure out which charger to get. Ive been reading thru online reviews of chargers and I think I have narrowed it down to one of these.

Pro Charging Systems Professional Series Onboard Battery Chargers

PS2.jpg

What do the experts on this site think of this unit?

My set up will be, 2 AGM trolling motor batteries, and 2 AGM Cranking batteries on a switch. Im getting the 4 bank model charger. At $400+ bucks, I want to get some opinions before I jump in with this one.

Attachments

• spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 0
  • PS2.jpg
    PS2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: On Board Charger

Here is a little food for thought. Deep Cycle trolling motor batteries tend to be deeply discharged on a regular basis so a higher output charger (8 - 10 amp/bank) is suggested for those. The starting batteries do not get deeply discharged and the engine can keep those reasonably topped off. So why not use a dual bank charger for the trollers and a smaller (and less expensive) dual bank (4 - 5 amp or so) for the two starting batteries. The added advantage here is if one of the outputs on either charger ever dies, you have a far less expensive charger to replace. Why have a high output charger connected to the starting batteries that rarely need that charge rate? As I said -- nothing wrong with your plan -- just providing food for thought.

Is there much difference on this brand of charger between the professional series and sportsman series?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You need to consult the specifications for the two. Many times two different models of chargers from the same manufacturer have the same output specifications but the higher priced version has more blinking lights (bells and whistles if you wil) so electrically there is no difference. I'm not familiar with the brand you are referencing and have no experience with them.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

listen to Silvertip--he knows what he is talking about:)
Personalty I use 10amp per bank (minkota) it will charge to full overnight. Just my 2 cents

Ive looked at reviews of many brands online. This one by far had the fewest complaints. There was even one guy who claims that he left it plugged in charging and forgot to pull the plug out of the boat. When he remembered, it had rained enough to fill the boat up over the top of the charger with water. He claims the charger lights were still on and he removed the plug, drained the water, and the batteries were fully charged, and the charger still worked after it dried out.

90% chance thats bull****, but there really were just a handfull of negative reviews on this type unit compared to 50/50 on most others.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The problem with reviews is that the higher numbers of product sold, a higher the number of complaints results. Not saying that's the case with the better known names but something to consider.

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A method I've used to make reviews more meaningful is to look for trends in the negative reviews. I've bought two Ship-N-Shore chargers from Walmart in the last 8-10 years and after a couple years both developed a problem with the cooling fan making a binding/growling noise. Looked up reviews for this charger and others had the same problem. I will not buy another.

I bought a Noco Genius Gen 3 onboard charger about six months ago. If you look at the reviews at Amazon for this particular charger, it has 24 reviews - 21(5.0), 1(4.0), 1(3.0), and 1(1.0). If you concentrate on the negative reviews, the 1.0 reviewer was disappointed that the charger only charged 12v batteries since it was advertised as a 12-36v 3 bank 30 amp charger. The 3.0 reviewer knocked it down two notches because he thought the AC cord should have been 6' vs 5'. The 4.0 reviewer knocked it down 1 notch because he didn't like the way the charger cuts off after 100% charge and then cuts back on 24 hrs later to check and maintain the battery. None of these negatives affect my view of the charger. I will wait until I've used it for 1 yr + but if I had to review it now, I would give a 5.0.

I finally got mine installed. I went with the Bass Pro Shops XPS 5/5/5 charger. It has alot of positive reviews. Seems like it was worth a shot since it was on sale.

Got it installed in the battery compartment. Now im just trying to decide if I want to mount a plug receptacle on the boat or just leave the cable in the battery compartment and hook it up thru the access door.

WP_000745.jpg

RussMcDonald

Recruit

So if I understand it right if I have 3 batteries, 1 for a cranking battery and 2 tied in series for a 24v trolling motor I will need and 3 bank charger?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes -- and you just hijacked another persons thread. Have a question? Start your own thread.

dwparker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Russ,

Welcome to the iboats forum. Best case scenario is one bank per battery. Some believe if you run the engine a lot, you do not need a bank for the cranking battery. Although others believe, me included, that a bank for the cranking battery with increase its longevity.

Out of courtesy to the OP (original poster), if you have a question that is not intended to help solve the OP's problem, you need to start a new thread.