OMG - I got an oversized load permit !!!

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm planning to take the boat out in about a week's time. So, I thought I might try to get an oversized permit (10'-10" wide load), as I go on a state road for part of the route.

The MA DOT makes things a bit challenging, but I figured it out and applied for a 'single trip' permit on their website. Of course the application website did not like that I was going just a short distance, so it had to be 'reviewed'. :unsure:

It's all good, and I will be towing at ease . . . at least from a 'legal' perspective. I know lots of folks don't bother getting the permits, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

There is an annual permit that is 10X the cost of the single trip permits, but I don't think I'd launch & retrieve that many times. I was meaning to haul the boat out mid-season, but never really had the time or desire to do so. 🤪 So, probably 2-4 trips per year is all that I'll do. :D

flashback

Captain
Do you get to put a WIDE LOAD banner on it.. LOL.
I think you did good, a bright leo could easily see the difference..

tpenfield

Staff member
Do you get to put a WIDE LOAD banner on it.. LOL.
I think you did good, a bright leo could easily see the difference..

Yes, I get to use the Wide Load banner that I bought last year. :ROFLMAO:

I have towed a short distance w/out a permit (but don't tell anybody :rolleyes: ) . I don't think the LEO's really care all that much, but just in case.

tpenfield

Staff member
The boat is coming out Tuesday AM . . .

I just bought a Rohent back-up camera system (wired power and wireless link). It works off the 12 volt outlet(s) and is supposed to have a range of over 200 ft. (camera to display distance)

I should be able to put the camera either on the truck roof, the tailgate (for hooking up the trailer) and even on the rear of the boat for backing the rig down the road to my house.
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG
Tire pressure is set and the lights all check out (y)
IMG_3743.JPG

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Had a backup camera on my motorhome that could be turned on at any time. Great for pulling a trailer to check on how it is towing as well as backing the big rig. These portable cameras have lots of uses !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm using Rohent camera on the RV. For a promotional deal, you can get a second camera for free. (Read your manual)

I did get 2 bad cameras before the good second camera came in. I am in process of making a mount to move the 2nd camera back n forth from the boat to the bike rack on the RV

harringtondav

Commander
Wow that camera I really like!
My 2019 Ranger's factory is nothing special, but it works great. It has moving line of travel indicators plus a center one directly over the hitch ball which I can see. I nail the hitch on center every time, but I still have to get out to tweak the distance.

harringtondav

Commander
The boat is coming out Tuesday AM . . .

I just bought a Rohent back-up camera system (wired power and wireless link). It works off the 12 volt outlet(s) and is supposed to have a range of over 200 ft. (camera to display distance)

I should be able to put the camera either on the truck roof, the tailgate (for hooking up the trailer) and even on the rear of the boat for backing the rig down the road to my house.
View attachment 370848
View attachment 370847
View attachment 370849
Tire pressure is set and the lights all check out (y)
View attachment 370850
Interesting bunk arrangement. Custom I assume. Chines rest on the bunk edges?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Backup camera in my Jeep is great for aligning the trailer hitch as well, except the dotted line covers the hitch ball making it hard to see....the camera on the motorhome is right at the top near the roof, much better placement there as you can see the hitch ball, but also over the top of the towed trailer, much better for tracking my trailer and ability to see what is behind that. Wish my Jeep was taller to mount a camera high up.

tpenfield

Staff member
Interesting bunk arrangement. Custom I assume. Chines rest on the bunk edges?
Pretty typical bunk arrangement for larger trailers. 2 main bunks and then a set of bow-catcher bunks.

As far as the chines hitting the bunks. . . Not even close - the bunks were set at the factory to line up with the outer strakes. The chine width is about 9' 8", so outside of the frame, and pretty much over the outer edge of the fenders.

My first retrieve had the boat skewed a few inches despite the guide posts and I had one side sort of hanging on a strake and the other totally missed. I set the bunks about 3" wider (maximum I could go) and set the guide post in an inch each side to hopefully apply a bit of centering pressure. I'll be happy if the boat is sitting on the bunks just outside of the strakes.

harringtondav

Commander
I've seen edgewise bunks on pontoon trailers. Makes sense for a big heavy boat. Looks like the long span between supports provide flex to follow the hull's contour.
I spent much time this summer learning with my new boat that having the bunk trailer, and my bunk rail boat lift, a little shallow is helpful. Things center up well. If I can't power the boat home I have my trailer driver (or my lift's remote) back things up a bit.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
@harringtondav . . . here are a few pictures of how the boat was sitting on the trailer from the retrieval last Fall.

A few inches off center . . .
IMG_3134 2.JPG
Port side missed the strake . . .
IMG_3137 2.JPG
Starboard side barely on . . .
IMG_3138 2.JPG
As you can see the chines are just over the outside edges of the fenders. the trailer guides are at their widest setting.

harringtondav

Commander
@harringtondav . . . here are a few pictures of how the boat was sitting on the trailer from the retrieval last Fall.

A few inches off center . . .
Wow! That is a LOT of boat. ....and I thought the trailer was huge.
There are boats this size in our Dubuque IA pool. Most are closed bow cruisers. And nearly all rely on the marina's travel hoist or crane. Approx $1000/yr for take out - put in, and winter blocking. There is a wait list for slips, so the marinas get away with requiring on site storage, on trailer or blocks. About $500. Trailer it home....still $500.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, I used to rely on a boat hauler and had to schedule out about 1 month in advance. As things got busy over the past few years, trying to arrange a haul-out or launch got to be a PITA. So, I decided to go with a trailer for this boat ( 11,500 lb dry weight, 10'-10" beam, 33' LOA). It is a bit wider than my Formula and 2,000 lbs heavier.

tpenfield

Staff member
The boat is out . . . Uneventful.
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG
The boat centered on the bunks nicely with the tweaks that I made to the trailer while the boat was in the water for the season.
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG
The back-up camera, helped, but I still relied on the mirrors quite a bit. I think I need to put some marker poles along the edge of the ramp, because I never seem to get the trailer lined up straight. The paved portion is only about 12 feet wide, else you are in a drop-off into the sand/mud, so it is a little tricky.
IMG_3750.JPG
And of course the sign :ROFLMAO:
IMG_3752.JPG
We had not used the boat much in the past few weeks and the marine growth really comes on strong towards the end of the season.. Note to self . . . next year -> mid-season haul-out and cleaning 🤪

harringtondav

Commander
I'm not familiar with salt water fouling. Will this growth come off with a pressure washer, or will it take chemicals?

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm not familiar with salt water fouling. Will this growth come off with a pressure washer, or will it take chemicals?
It comes off (and did). Just finished pressure washing the hull and outdrives. I usually get to it right away, while everything is still wet & soft.