OMC/Volvo Penta Planing issues?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: OMC/Volvo Penta Planing issues?

So, with the engine OFF, and in forward gear:doh:, open the throttle fully,,, Then go back by the engine, & look down into the carburetor, and see if the butterfly's are opening all the way? If the choke is in the way, open it manually for now (that would be another issue to check later).

I did that yesterday, and with the throttle (control) opened all the way (in neutral) it only opens about 80% of the way...now that I think about it, that's probably a safety design thing...maybe I should have it in gear, then do it? Choke is not in the way, there's a cam between the carburetor and electric choke that opens the butterflies the remaining ~20% (or doesn't allow it to open beyond the ~80%, I'm assuming until it's warmed up?) Maybe I'm I'm running too cold? Maybe the thermostat is stuck open? I run between 120˚-160˚ on the gauge...the risers are always hot to the touch, but not so hot I cannot keep my hands on them (just thinking out loud here)

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

I did that yesterday, and with the throttle (control) opened all the way (in neutral) it only opens about 80% of the way...now that I think about it, that's probably a safety design thing...maybe I should have it in gear, then do it? Choke is not in the way, there's a cam between the carburetor and electric choke that opens the butterflies the remaining ~20% (or doesn't allow it to open beyond the ~80%, I'm assuming until it's warmed up?) Maybe I'm I'm running too cold? Maybe the thermostat is stuck open? I run between 120˚-160˚ on the gauge...the risers are always hot to the touch, but not so hot I cannot keep my hands on them (just thinking out loud her

That is your main problem then! No, I doubt you're running too cold? Besides, you'd only use more gas. Is that (so called) cam connected to your choke? If so, it maybe hanging up? There is no governor on boats usually

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

That is your main problem then! No, I doubt you're running too cold? Besides, you'd only use more gas. Is that (so called) cam connected to your choke?Doesn't appear to be, bit it's hard to say? If so, it maybe hanging up? There is no governor on boats usually

I ran it again today (with new cap/rotor and fuel filter/water separator). I put the Hydrofoil back on too. It did reach 4,100RPM's trimmed up some and it felt slight peppier?! I also was able to rev it up to 4,600rpms without any issue (I know, no load, but it got there very crisply).

At this point I'm thinking it's the prop pitch (19P) which is what's recommended; however, we're at 6,200' here in Colorado Springs and at Pueblo Res. we're at 4,300'? So I'm thinking of either a 4 blade 17-18P should get me at the WOT? We lose 3%/1,000' elevation so at ~163hp?

Anyone else at roughly the same elevation in a similar sized (18' 2650lb, dry, 8' beam) open bow boat with a small V8?

~Brett

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

... we're at 6,200' here in Colorado Springs and at Pueblo Res. we're at 4,300'....Brett

Ok, this makes sense now. I had not noticed your location and my brain defaulted to "normal" elevation in my internal calculations and that was why I was reluctant to go with a 17p recommendation. Now the 17p seems in order.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just saw this today and while reading the first few threads, my thoughts were it needs a tune up, cap/rotor/wires/plugs/fuel filter. I did those things back in February after having my transom rebuilt and wow what a difference. Last year the boat was having a hard time getting up on plane and was topping out around 45-47 mph. After new plugs/wires and just cleaning all the contacts on the existing cap/rotor, the boat now jumps up quick and will hit 52-53 mph planed out. Its a 17' ski boat with the little 4.3 V6.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Just saw this today and while reading the first few threads, my thoughts were it needs a tune up, cap/rotor/wires/plugs/fuel filter. I did those things back in February after having my transom rebuilt and wow what a difference. Last year the boat was having a hard time getting up on plane and was topping out around 45-47 mph. After new plugs/wires and just cleaning all the contacts on the existing cap/rotor, the boat now jumps up quick and will hit 52-53 mph planed out. Its a 17' ski boat with the little 4.3 V6.

Thanks for jumping in an giving me some info...I didn't change the plug wires (I plan on it this next week). Plugs are new (September 2013) and as you read, new fuel filter, cap/rotor. I ran for about 2+ hours on Sunday at Pueblo Res. Never got above 110˚ so I'm thinking I need a new thermostat as well? Anyone know right off hand, which one? Engine 5.0FL (1996, 502APNCA).

Cheers,

~Brett

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Just ordered the Solas Titan HR 4 blade Stainless Steel (14 1/4" x 17P) we'll see if that hooks a brutha up!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Got my new prop on for Memorial Weekend at the lake...

Hopefully, this is what she needed?

fetch
fetch