OMC/Volvo 5.0 .... Fix or Toss?

ajinid

Cadet
I just bought a 1995 Four Winns w/ a OMC Cobra 5.0 engine made by Volvo Penta. I'm told its a Ford 302 engine. One of the heads has gone out, estimate to fix it is $2,000-4,000. Can't I just get a whole rebuilt engine for about that? I was thinking if I'm going to spend up to $4000 fixing, I could get a true rebuilt Volvo engine.

Any suggestions?

AJ

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC/Volvo 5.0 .... Fix or Toss?

You need to see what is being replaced along with the head. If it includes the exhaust manifolds, you will be buying those anyway when you buy the new engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

It Sounds like your comparing the total bill, including Labor for the head change,...
And,..
The basic cost of a drop in motor,.. Without any Labor....

Apples,+ Oranges in other words....

ajinid

Cadet

I've read that some recommend avoiding a Ford Marine Engine because Ford is now out of the boat business. Just thinking it may be better to bite the bullet now instead of spending a lot to fix something that will be harder to fix later. Are the Ford 302 engines reliable? I have to wonder as my boat only has 270 hours yet one of the heads needs replacing.

AJ

chiefalen

Captain

You sure it's a volvo engine?

With a omc drive?

And why did the head go?

You overheat?

I feel something is left out?

ajinid

Cadet

The tag on the engine says: "OMC Cobra"
The sub title says "Manufactured by Volvo Penta Marine Products, LP"

Model number: 502APHUE
It has a Volvo Outdrive.

From researching on the web, it appears this engine is a Ford 302.

I am not sure if it overheated, I just bought it from someone else who told me the head probably needs a new head.

AJ

chiefalen

Captain

What do you mean the head went? No compression? Cracked from freeze damage?

It still on the boat?

Your can still get parts no problem from volvo.

302 good motor.

Do a compression test post the result.

I don't know does it run?

All of a sudden everyones telling you to buy a motor.

We don't know if anythings wrong with the head.

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

302 is a good motor, I had a 302 in a 1990 seaswirl striper, ran good for 10+ yrs that i know of with minor trouble. Have a 351 ford block in my pacemaker for 11 yrs, still runs good. Im not a big ford fan, but these 2 motors I had no complaints with.

Id agree with looking further into whats wrong before going for 4k in repairs or a new motor.

ajinid

Cadet

Thank you much for the replies. I took it to another shop for a second opinion, will update things next week.

AJ

ajinid

Cadet

The shop said the engine is toast, looks like the previous owner didn't winterize it, exhaust manifolds craked, freeze plugs pushed out, in their words, the engine is toast.

So do I replace it w/ a 302? I was thinking of getting a 351 for a little more hp. I found some good prices on remanufactured marine engines @ www.rapidomarine.com (about $1400 including shipping w/ no core charge)

Will a 351 work OK w/ my components from my 302?

AJ

mthieme

Captain

Sounds like you're leaning towards replacement. It also sounds like you have little choice. Considering the price tag for the repair, I would get a crate motor too. Realistically, I personally would get or at least heavily consider a used motor. A 302 and a 351W are the same block so many parts will interchange. Personally, I would look at a Chevy block due to that fact that are significantly more common as marine powerplants which makes parts cheaper and more readily available. The drawbackw ith this is that you would need to change the adapter plate behind the motor going to the drive.

MikDee

Banned

I just did this exact thing, replaced a 302 with a 351. Assuming you buy a long block 351 there are MANY parts that will NOT interchange. Oil pan will NOT work, Oil pump will not work, Oil Pickup will NOT work, Distributor will NOT work, intake manifold will NOT work. The carb. may or may NOT work depending on the new intake manifold but in any case its going to be small for this engine. The 351 is also a little taller and wider than the 302, check for clearance in the engine compartment.

I kinda thought this would be the case with Ford engines :rolleyes: not quite as adaptable as the small block Chevy, but still good engines though ;) Good for you, more power to ya! I would say you did the best thing, instead of opting for a Chevy, because it was already setup for a Ford.