OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

Lsnow

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
22
My boat ran great today....for the first two hours. After that, it seemed to run fine while pulling a tube, but then moving from one location to another at wot, the engine started to lose power. So I thought about removing the air filter to see if that would help. But when I removed the engine cover, I noticed that the trim/tilt motor mounts on the starboard side of the engine had pulled away from the hull and had rotated about 45 degrees. I didn't dare go wot again, so I limped back to the boat ramp, loaded the boat on the trailer and called it a day. What would cause the trim/tilt motor mounts to pull away from the hull and how can I re-secure them so it won't happen again?
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

What would cause the trim/tilt motor mounts to pull away from the hull and how can I re-secure them so it won't happen again?

Rotten wood.
Replace stringers... big job. There is a boat restoration forum here where you can get structural info.
 

Lsnow

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
22
Re: OMC trim/tilt motor mounts (fail)

Motor mounts removed, fiberglass and stringer ground out, re-glassed and re-enforced the area, re-installed motor mounts with a metal bracket connecting the mounts together and attached with good new hardware into a solid stringer. Going to the lake tomorrow for a test run.
 
Top