omc trim n tilt switch replacement [wil lower but not raise}

crankman1

Cadet
I have a 1992 chris craft crowne 252 and when i took my boat out for the season i pushed and pushed on the button to raise it up,luckly for me it just barely went up.Got it home and lowered the drive no problem but it won t raise it still lowers:joyous: it but is maxed out.I,v read its likely the switch on the shifter the one with two red round buttons on it.Can a do it yourself guy do this job and can anyone give helpful info to get this job done. Thx Ron

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: omc trim n tilt switch replacement [wil lower but not raise}

I have a 1992 chris craft crowne 252 and when i took my boat out for the season i pushed and pushed on the button to raise it up,luckly for me it just barely went up.Got it home and lowered the drive no problem but it won t raise it still lowers:joyous: it but is maxed out.I,v read its likely the switch on the shifter the one with two red round buttons on it.Can a do it yourself guy do this job and can anyone give helpful info to get this job done. Thx Ron

Go thru and clean/check all connections before you start buying switches! If it 'kinda' worked the other day, with any luck it's just that simple?

~Brett

crankman1

Cadet

I sence it is in the button area. How do i get the shifter arm off to take a look at the wires and switch going to the buttons.

wilksCraft

Cadet

Having the same issue with my port drive....was told it was probably the switch also....not sure yet....just thought I'd post with same problem...strength in numbers and all.:)

Bondo

Staff member

I sence it is in the button area. How do i get the shifter arm off to take a look at the wires and switch going to the buttons.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Both of ya, ;) Not sayin' it Ain't, but it's Rarely the switch,.....

It just controls the solenoids at the pump,...

Check All the wirin' connections, from the battery to the pump,...
Pull 'em apart, sand to shiny metal clean, reassemble 'em, 'n Grease 'em,...
The Grease keeps 'em from corrodin' again,...

Have ya got a Test Light, or Multimeter,..?? either is handy trackin' down yer issue,...
Test yer switch, insteada rippin' the controller apart,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I'm agree'n with Bondo here, you need to find out why it's not working first. You need to see if power us being sent to the solenoid to make the drive move in the proper direction. It is also possible for the wire inside the handle to break and then not send current to activate the relay. So first you need to see if you have power at the relay, if so it could be the relay or corrosion on the terminals. If not it could be the switch or a break in the wire from the switch. What control do you have? On the OE OMC controls you can snap off the trim cover to check the wiring. The switch can be replaced separately if you can still get them.

P. Oechsner

Cadet

I had the same problem when I first bought my boat. switch checked out ok. selonoids were fine although I burned one out and broke the other one checking them. those were about $40.00 ea. to replace. wracked my brain for a whole day trying to figure it out. my outdrive is the 400 model. the tilt motor has two wires. I was thinking wrong. both are hot. one is for up the other is for down. the motor has no ground wire. it relies on the bolts that hold it to the intermediate housing for ground. all I had to do is loosen the mounting bolts and tighten them back down and I had both functions again. I am toying with the idea of putting a ground strap from the motor to the plate the selonoids mount to just as an extra ground. I don't know if your newer setup is the same but may be worth a check. I was assuming that one wire on my motor was hot and one was ground but then I realized that they both are hot or the motor would not be able to run in both directions.