OMC Stern Drive - Year and Dual Question

rdh2059

Seaman
I recently purchased a 26' Tollycraft "project" boat. Its got tons of potential, but like all new projects, I have lots of questions. <br /><br />Port Sterndrive: Model 980309 s/n W 26281<br />Starboard Sterndrive: Model 980309 s/n W 2... (too corroded/damaged to read tag)<br /><br />One question is what year are these?<br /><br />Second question, they both have 14x14 props on them - identical props, not opposed like I'm used to. I thought dual screws always were opposed with one turning clockwise and the other counterclockwise... Is this configuration normal?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rick

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stern Drive - Year and Dual Question

twin screws with same direction? hmmm do not know about that only that its likley that its been repowered with the same two or at least one of the same engines.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Can't help with the year unless you can give the model # off the engine but OMC didn't come out with the counter rotating sterndrive until 1986-87 with the Cobra. Prior to that if you had twins they both were right hand as were the earlier Mercruisers back then as well.

KaGee

Admiral

Bob is correct... The Valve covers is where the info tag was on mine.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm i did not know that. interesting!

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

hmmm i did not know that. interesting!

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you have OMC stringer drives. If there are rubber boots around the outdrives? Your engine size will determine what drives you have: 4 cylinders will be 400 series drives and 6 and 8 cylinders will have 800 series drives. And WOW....twin OMC drives, double trouble...I have the same ('85 searay with twim 3.8L with 800 series drives)

rdh2059

Seaman

Cobra, <br /> The link you posted does not appear to show my configuration. My specific configuration is GM 250ci 165hp inline 6's and an OMC sterndrive. I could not find this specific configuration in any of the drawings on that website.<br /><br />Rick

KaGee

Admiral

Holy Carp!<br /><br />That is alot older than I imagined!<br />That would make those somewhere between '72-'76. Those drives are electric shift in that vintage.<br />I don't see a counter-rotating in the book... but my wife says I'm blind too. :D

rdh2059

Seaman

Yeah they're electric shift. I'm not afraid of those as my last two outboards had them too. They're ok as long as you maintain the lower unit properly and keep the seals fresh... <br /><br />Is there anything specific about this particular sterndrive that I should pay attention to when I go through them? I need to replace/rebuild the waterpumps, etc... They have been in mothballs in the Arizona sun for 15 years, so the rubber is probably dry and brittle...<br /><br /><br />Rick