OMC stern drive freeze plug?!?!?

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello guys, I am working on this outdrive with a buddy of mine and we are both lost on what the problem is. <br /><br />On the port side of the outdrive there is a plug of some type that is in the upper part of the outdrive twords the middle. We can not figure out what holds this plug in, or more importantly why it keeps poping out at anytihng over idle speed. Any help would be great. <br /><br />OMC outdrive on a 2.3 88 19ft bayliner.

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC stern drive freeze plug?!?!?

No ideas?? I was looking to finish this today......

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, but it doesn't identify this part.........

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it about a 1 inch hole? If so, it doesnt serve any purpose except for when the drive was cast. All it is there for now is to cause you grief when you get curious and unscrew it and the backing falls off into the drive - so you then have to remove the drive to get it back together.<br /><br />Do a serch for "Hole in drive". There are a few threads on this...

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Justmrwill, <br /><br />It is on the other side, but yes.<br /><br />Irlima, so I have to pull the drive off?? there is a backing piece that I am missing? Is that what you are saying?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Try this picture instead and you will see what's behind the medallion Cobra Upper

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

If pieces 12 & 13 from the diagram above fell into the casing, it is difficult to get them out (and put it back together) without removing the drive. When I made this mistake, the backing fell off...it doesnt take much to do that either. <br /><br />Are you still able to tighten the bolt (#14 in diagram)? Not sure why it would pop out as you're stating above. I beleive that it is just a water passage behind there...Perhaps someone made the same mistake before and didnt secure it properly.

mrbell83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the info. I have pulled the outdrive and I am unable to find the missing link. I guess its time to hit the local OMC dealer.<br /><br />Thanks again,