OMC running high speed and dies

RO boater

Cadet
I have a 1992 Regency with the Windsor 351 in it and a Edelbrock 750 carburetor. All about one year old. On the water running high speed for a short period of time and then bogs down and if I do not do it immediately into neutral it will die and sometimes does anyways dude will not start for a few minutes and when it does start will only idol. Anybody have any ideas?

kenny nunez

Captain
The best way to narrow down the source is to rig a 6 gallon outboard tank directly to the fuel inlet where the fuel line from the tank connects.

RO boater

Cadet
Not possible. I confronted that problem already. It involves putting a new gas tank in and a very expensive electric fuel pump and a water fuel separator and a new carburetor and hard fuel lines not rubber. I believe the problem solved. But I’m still interested to hear what you might have to say about it. Thank you sir for your reply

RO boater

Cadet
I am certainly willing to give that a try. But I don’t believe that’s what the problem is. That problem has already been confronted with a new gas tank lines carburetor fuel pump. But I have been wrong before. And will be wrong again especially when it comes to my boat. Belts were made to break men’s hearts..... or to humble them

kenny nunez

Captain
Did any of the problem occur before the Edelbrock carburetor was installed? Have you also inspected the inside of the carburetor? If you re used the anti siphon valve at the fuel tank outlet and it is made of aluminum that also could cause the problem. When the tank was replaced was the suction tube re used?

94 Sundowner

Cadet
I have a 94 omc fuel injected that is doing the same thing off of plane . At plane I'm cruising at 3k rpm and will slow down on it's own to idle and sputter and sounds like popping or backfiring from the motor area . I will put back to neutral and repeat the process . Mine started happening after I put a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank . I have since put in 2 different gas fill ups , water/fuel separator, spark plugs .