omc overheating high rpm

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc overheating high rpm

Problem Solved. Thanks again to all for your help you all saved me a lot of cash. I certainly appreciate all the input and of course the people responsible for the operation of this site.<br /><br />I pulled the exhaust riser (elbow) two of the four ports for water flow were completly plugged up with rust and crud. I didn't even try to clean it out. Went and purchased a new one and installed it ($130.00) Runs like new now. No overheating at all. <br /><br />Does the rust come from the exhaust manifold and inside the engine. Does it mean the next thing to go will be my exhaust manifold or engine. Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems like this? Is there anythng I can put in the engine to clean it out or would it just make things worse. <br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does the rust come from the exhaust manifold and inside the engine. Does it mean the next thing to go will be my exhaust manifold or engine.
Yes<br /><br />
Is there anything I can do to prevent further problems like this?
Salt-Away can slow it down, but nothing will completely eliminate the problem.

Jerry San Diego

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don and all again-<br />I have been out of town a few day but wanted to make sure I responded again with a big thank you- as I said I have replaced the riser and all works good for now. I will also in the next few weeks save up $$$ asnd replace the manifold- this should give me a little extension on the life of an already aging engine. Then if the engine gives up on me I will already have good risers and minifolds.<br />Thanks again-<br />Jerry