OMC Outdrive Wont Go Into Gear

tomnovit

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have an OMC 400 outdrive that just doesnt want to go into drive. Out of the water, hooked up to the hose, it works great. Once in the water however, with the prop all the way up or down, it doesn't quite catch gear. It will go into reverse, but no foward. Any ideas?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Outdrive Wont Go Into Gear

tomnovit said:
Hi everyone. I have an OMC 400 outdrive that just doesnt want to go into drive. Out of the water, hooked up to the hose, it works great. Once in the water however, with the prop all the way up or down, it doesn't quite catch gear. It will go into reverse, but no foward. Any ideas?

What year? Could be the little plastic spacers (one for forward and one for reverse) if the drive is the same as my OMC. I neglected it, now I'm having to get a new lower unit.

Do a search on OMC Outdrive Slipping and you'll see more.

Try this thread... It is one of mine... http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=24;gtid=489141;gpid=489143#gpid489143

tomnovit

Cadet

it is a 1990 outdrive. How difficult are the spacers to replace? Approximate cost? Thanks for the quick reply.

tomnovit

Cadet

I dont think mine is electronic shift though...could be wrong.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

tomnovit said:
I dont think mine is electronic shift though...could be wrong.

Oh, not elec. shift and a newer model than mine... I'm not qualified to participate further!

Sorry! Good luck!

tomnovit

Cadet

thanks for the advice rogerrabbit.....ive just finished loading the sledge in the jeep :devil: