OMC outdrive leaking oil from the prop shaft

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
89 OMC 4.3 engine in Citation boat (both boat and stern drive manufacturer out of biz!!)<br /><br />This fall, I pulled the outdrive for maintenance. I greased the u-joints, removed the prop and checked the impeller. Today, I moved the outdrive across my basement and when I tilted it back towards the prop area, oil leaked aout. I watched over a tablespoon pool on the basement floor and then stopped. Does this have anything to do with the prop being off or am I about to get the 'ol "tear it apart to find what's wrong" recommendation.<br /><br />Also, allow me to vent...I'm about ready to drive this piece of crap boat to the junkyard. It started last fall with water in the cylinders, so I replaced the headers and manifolds. Then, I tried Stuart's adjustment and still haven't completed that GD job. A couple of weeks ago, I screwed up the valve lashing adjustment and now can't figure that out. God knows what I'll encounter when I try and get the outdrive back on given the typical problems everyone else has. Oh yes, and to boot, I have a soft spot in my floor. How do you get rid of a boat in this condition?

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC outdrive leaking oil from the prop shaft

BTW - all I wanted was a what I thought I had...a no frills 17' +/- a few feet cuddy to take my 3, soon to be 4, kids and wife out in the bay or on a lake for watersports, cruzin and fishing. That is still what I'm looking for, but this boat I've come to realize may be shot.

KaGee

Admiral

Sounds like you are in need of a re-seal on the lower unit. A pressure check is in order.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Boatgrunt,<br />Slow, deep breaths.<br /><br />Unfortunately, what you are experiencing is the nature of "older" (10+ years old) boats. If the previous owner(s) did not treat it as their "precious", you may find "surprises".<br /><br />Take a day off...and consider your options. <br />1. Scrap the whole thing. If you have it all together...try donating it to Helping Hands in Plainville/Foxboro??? on Rt 1. It is a nice tax write off..but you lose all the time and money you put into it so far. You then need to start the process all over again. Find an older boat that may or may not have been properly taken care of and may or may not have the same problems. OR buy new...get saddled with a monthly payment but have few\no mechanical worries.<br /><br />2. Take it one problem at a time. Fix this oil leak. Even though OMC is no longer around, you still can find the seal kits etc. Cross your fingers and hope that that is all. The soft floor...the question is...how soft? If it can wait until next season..make that next winter's project. Unfortunately, I have spent about $3000 on repairing my boat...$2000 of that was stupid novice "ooppps" (hit rock...replace outdrive, start while in gear...break ring gear on flywheel...need engine pulled). Drop me an email and I will try to help out where I can.<br /><br />-JMW

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks KaGee. <br /><br />Mr. Will. I'll call or email you. <br /><br />One more thing that I have to embarassingly disclose: When my manifolds/cylinder heads went at the end of the season, I never got a chance to start the motor. To winterize, I drained the water from the block and raised/lowered the outdrive in attempt to drain all water. The outdrive sat on the boat through a few deep freezes before I pulled it. When I pulled it, the temp was above freezing, and some water drained out. Could that water have been enough to freeze and crack something in the outdrive?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever-ever heard anyone say "Wow, boating is inexpensive, I really thought it would cost more" ????? :p Didn't think so.<br /><br />You do realize that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand don't you.<br /><br />Now that you have on oil leak on a drive made by a company that went out of buisness around 10 years ago, qualified techs are getting scarce as well as parts on some items.<br /><br />I'm not trying to scare you away from boating, it's fun.... A LOT of fun, but just buying a boat doesn't mean you are done spending money by any stretch of the imagination. It's only the beginning of a very expensive past time.<br /><br />EDIT: Was typing when you posted, just lowering the drive will not drain the engine, or the drive. Yes you may have cracked the drive housing, but you probably cracked your engine and manifolds as well. They do not drain when the drive is down.

JustMrWill

*cringe*<br /><br />With how your luck is going...it is possible. How much water is "some"? I don't think much water can be trapped in the outdrive if it is in the down position. Oil in the prop shaft sounds like the seal in the lower...BUT...it is possible to have an internal crack. <br /><br />Do you have one of these? <br />
739674.jpg
<br />and one of these? (mityvac ~$20)<br />
mityvac.jpg
<br /><br />use the connector and tube from the pump...attach to the mityvac...viola..compression tester. (You can do it without the pump but I found that it is much easier to have the threaded connector to get the best seal)<br />If it doesn't hold the pressure..then you need to find out where it is leaking. Do a search for outdrive leak testing...you will get all the info you need there. Good luck.<br /><br />-JMW

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S - I drained both plugs on the engine and completely removed the manifolds. Guess it's time to pressure test the drive. Mr. Will - I have the lower unit pump but not the second item. Either way, I think I may bring it to a pro at this point.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Going back to your opening post ..... what color was the oil that leaked out ?<br /><br />If it was "blackish" and your gear oil is "cleaner" looking,probably the outdrive is NOT leaking.<br /><br />DHP

JustMrWill

BG,<br />If you bring it to someone...make sure that they service OMC...not just..."I do merc..but they are basically the same" mechanic. I went to a guy just off 95 in RI...knew his stuff...prices "reasonable". I'll give you the info via email.<br /><br />-JMW

JustMrWill

Any updates?<br /><br />-JMW