OMC outdrive help needed!!!

DMAN1968

Seaman
My friends 1989 Baretta with OMC Cobra outdrive and 2.3L engine started "clunking" in and out of gear the other day. It ran fine for a couple of hours prior to this beginning. I pulled the drain plug and find water is in the lower unit gear oil.<br /><br />My questions are:<br />1 Will the water in the oil alone make this happen?<br />2 Is this a shift linkage adjustment problem?<br />3 What damage may he have done in the time that this ocurred and the short distance he had to limp it back to the landing?<br /><br />Thanks for you help in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC outdrive help needed!!!

1 Will the water in the oil alone make this happen?
Possibly...... Or, Whatever Reason the Water is in there in the 1st place...........<br />
2 Is this a shift linkage adjustment problem?
Possibly.. But Very Doubtful......<br />
3 What damage may he have done in the time that this ocurred and the short distance he had to limp it back to the landing?
Could be as Simple as Seals......<br />Or, He May have Totally Destroyed the Outdrive........<br /><br />You Won't Know till it's Torn-Down........

DMAN1968

Seaman

Hello,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply Bondo...Hopefully I get to break it down soon and determine what the true problem is. If anyone has any other possible solutions or have had this happen before I would greatly appreciate some more insight on the problem.<br /><br />Thanks again

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an OMC drive and myine slamed in and out of gear untill it busted the weak shifter cable, and found that that with a good workin gcable that the shift module was bad. Basically your pulling it in and out of gear with out the motor stalling for a second like it's suppose to. <br /><br />Just my experience.<br />Good luck.

DMAN1968

Seaman

Thanks for the info...excuse my ignorance but...what is the shift module and where is that located?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't applogize we all learn in due time. Mine was an electrical component mounted on passanger side of motor and the connetions went to two different places, it looks like an ignition module and is mounted by two bolts.