OMC Marine 302 Engine REPLACEMENT

MJMfloating

Recruit
Hello,

My husband and I just bought our first project boat, 1995 Four Winn's Sundowner 225 w/ Cabin, engine OMC Marine 302 engine, I haven't found the serial/model number yet but the previous owner said it was a 1992 engine.

The engine was in pieces when we bought it, though the previous owner said it ran just needed a tuning he just didn't have the time.

My husband and I are discussing a complete replacement of the onboard motor & the outboard. (Due to the issue of replacement parts that I am reading on this form.) What would you recommend we go with next?

If we decide to just replace the onboard motor any recommendations there as well?

I tried to be as descriptive as possible if I missed anything please let me know, I am learning as I go.

Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
:welcome:

Suggestions are based on what your able to do.

You feel comfortable to do your own repairs, or do you want a drop in ready?

If the 302 is rebuildable, and all parts are there, it could be taken to a local machine shop and have them rebuild

The motor could be replaced with a 351 reman motor from a place like Michigan Motorz or other, then you just install your carb, starter, alternator, and other

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/ford-marine-engine-p-3177.html

If you want a drop in ready then things like this

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/comp...2-later-volvo-penta-applications-p-11559.html

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
iBoats and similar sell 302 long blocks. Get that, should se you back at most $1600-$1800 with shipping.
Swap the covers and go boating..

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post a link

I can't post a link outside iBoats as it is a competitor, you will have to search yourself, sorry.
I'm not sure how to find blocks on iBoats. I'm sure easy find on eBay, that is the last place I got mine.

alldodge

Staff member
No issue, but you said

iBoats and similar sell 302 long blocks.

Which to this old guy makes me think that iboats is selling motors, which sounded great. I could not find them on the site so I asked for the link to let the OP know.

I'm now reading they do not, so ok thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello,

My husband and I just bought our first project boat, 1995 Four Winn's Sundowner 225 w/ Cabin, engine OMC Marine 302 engine, I haven't found the serial/model number yet but the previous owner said it was a 1992 engine.

The engine was in pieces when we bought it, though the previous owner said it ran just needed a tuning he just didn't have the time.

My husband and I are discussing a complete replacement of the onboard motor & the outboard. (Due to the issue of replacement parts that I am reading on this form.) What would you recommend we go with next?

If we decide to just replace the onboard motor any recommendations there as well?

I tried to be as descriptive as possible if I missed anything please let me know, I am learning as I go.

Thank you!

the 302 that was in the boat most likely had the 351 cam and firing order. you will need to verify that.

to properly rebuild a 302, expect to pay about $2k at your local engine builder

iBoats and similar sell 302 long blocks. Get that, should se you back at most $1600-$1800 with shipping.
Swap the covers and go boating..

be wary of any remans costing only $1600. part alone to do it right will be about $1200

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Now may be a good time to convert it over to a GM engine, I believe your mid 90s Ford should be fuel injected / electronic ignition , parts for those do not exist anymore.

So in that pile of engine parts you have, if you are missing some stuff, it may be VERY hard to locate. (distributor, ignition module , computer, etc )

I am not 100% sure of what years went fuel injection , as my Ford is much older . so someone can correct me if I am wrong. but just something to think about.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I suggest you start out by figuring out what you have...
Look at the right side of the transom for the Hull Identification number, it should start with a 4WN......and the last 2 digits are the year of the boat. Then take some pix of the outdrive, transom mount and other parts to see if we can help figure out what you have. If its really a 1995 that is the joint venture with Volvo Penta product and as such should be the same as a V/P SX of the same model year. What that means is that the parts will be the same as well and whatever you can't get from OMC (now BRP) you might be able to get from V/P. However due to the fact that the boat and engine package is now going on 25 years old there are going to be things that are NLA unfortunately.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/943.cfm
parts catalog for carbed engine with holley 2 or 4 bbl

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/1074.cfm
parts catalog for EFI engine

hope you have the carb version it will be easier to deal with because all the carb parts are available from Holley still and you can still get the Carter mechanical fuel pump.

Here are the OMC model #s for that engine and year:
502APHUB
502APHUE
these are for the carbed engine (50=5.0, 2=2bbl carb P=power steering)

50FAPHUP
50FAPHUE
these are for the EFI engine (F=EFI)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...on_id.006708402--store_id.366--view_id.765229

Volvo version for carbed engine, carb parts are in fuel system section, EFI parts are in intake and exhaust system section.

GOOD LUCK!