OMC King Cobra dies upon going from idle to fulll speed

kc157

Recruit
My OMC King Cobra 1998 5.7 litre engine was running just fine on a recent outing. I stopped at a Marina on the water and filled up with gas. Upon exiting the marina the engine ran fine at idle but upon acceleration to 25000 rpm the boat coughs and dies. I can idle for hours but cannot get much above 1500 rpm before the engine dies. Could it be coincidental and have bad gas? Bad fuel filter? Bad inline filter? Carb float problems? Where do I start?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC King Cobra dies upon going from idle to fulll speed

Did you check to see if your esa is working properly? you may have a possible shift linkage issue. common cobra drive issue although I am not absolutely sure if this applys to the king cobra also.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

try replacing fuel filter to sii if you bought water insted of gas?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Did you check to see if your esa is working properly? you may have a possible shift linkage issue. common cobra drive issue although I am not absolutely sure if this applys to the king cobra also.

It probably doesn't have an ESA if it's a 98. Only the Dog-clutch Cobras had the ESA. By 1998, All the "Cobras" were SX's (and Volvo cone clutch models)

It'll help a lot if you post your year model AND model number.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 87' 4.3 cobra does the same thing and it is not the esa.

Changed all my filters and so far so good.

Did they make King Cobras for 5.7's?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Did they make King Cobras for 5.7's?

They called a LOT of different models "King" Cobra. It really doesn't mean a lot.

In 1987, The only model called "king" was the one behind the 460. It was quite a bit bigger than the other models for obvious reasons.

For the OP, the problem could be any of the reasons you mentioned...........

But when you have problems right after refueling, it's usually related to the refueling.

Could it be coincidental and have bad gas? Bad fuel filter? Bad inline filter? Carb float problems?

Yes.