Omc installation

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to reconnect my lower to upper unit of my 1988 5.0L outdrive and then both back to the transom mount. I have heard that you should apply several coats of sealant or gasket maker in addition to the actual gaskets. Is there any truth to this? there was some residue on these surfaces before but I thought that it might be from someone trying to use old gaskets and everything that I am using is new.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Omc installation

I use the liquid gasket maker. It helps to seal it & will help to hold the gasket in place when you're horsing that 5.0 back in place. Make sure u clean up the old residue.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Omc installation

OMC recommends using OMC Gasket Sealing Compound on the transom gasket. They also recommend it's use to help seal the u-joint bellows (not used on the exhaust bellows), and the threads of many of the bolts used on the outdrive/ transom area.<br /><br />The OMC Gasket Sealing Compound can be a bit hard to find. I believe you can substitute with Merc Perfect Seal, Evinrude/ Johnson's gasket sealant (forget what it's called exactly), or either Loc-Tite or Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer. I've used the latter since they're available at some of the automotive stores. They come in a small white plastic 'can' with a screw on cap that has a brush attached. Brown liquid close to the same consistency as thick syrup.