Omc exh. mani. rear plugs.

a70eliminator

Captain
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
3,762
MY OMC ford v8's has casted in nipples in the rear of the manifolds that use a rubber hose cap and hose clamp, I struggled to remove them and ended up having to cut a slit to get them off.
My question is, are these style hose plugs redily available or is there a better alternative like a rubber expansion plug or well nut, or something I can make up in the garage maybe?
 

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
1,584
Re: Omc exh. mani. rear plugs.

A couple of ideas; If you wipe some silicone grease on the nipples before clamping the rubber caps on, they'll readily come off next time. Don't use dino grease, it may attack the rubber cap.

I had similar nipples cast into the thermostat housing for coolant to the exhaust, ('84 OMC 5.7). I cut them off flush, tapped the hole to ?" NPT and threaded brass SMC push-in fittings in there. I can remove the tube with 1 hand, no tools.
There are plastic plugs available to seal a fitting as well. Push in, press the ring to release. Good for 150 psi.
smcusa, look up "fitting & tubings"
 
Top