OMC elastic locknuts & locking bolts

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On a Cobra outdrive, in various places OMC uses 'locking bolts' that have a yellow-green material on them that to me kinda resembles dried rubber cement in consistency. I've noticed that the elastic locknuts that attach the drive to the transom also appear to have this material rather than the typical nylon (or whatever it is) I've seen on locknuts (although I guess they might not be the original OEM nuts and a shop put on something else).<br /><br />OMC tells you to replace the locking nuts or bolts if the 'locking material' has worn off. Does anybody know of an appropriate product that you could apply to the nuts/ bolts that would 'restore' them instead of buying new ones? <br /><br />To me it's not just a matter of cost (although even for nuts & bolts, stainless adds up pretty quickly), but of convenience. It would be so much more convenient if I could 'renew' these items than to have to go to a marina (I doubt hardware stores would have anything like the 'locking bolts') or have to wait for them to come if ordered online.<br /><br />For some of the 'lock nuts/ bolts', you're supposed to put OMC gasket sealing compound on them to waterproof, so don't know how that might interact with a typical 'locktite' type product. Anyone know what that substance is and if there's a common product I could restore it with?