omc control switch wiring

imported_beck

Seaman
Hi to all,

I had 2 omc controls, a 1981 control w/o a kill switch which was not flooded and a 1989 control with a kill sw which was flooded.

I was told that either would work with the 1981 70 johnson I recently installed on my Tims flat.

I wanted to use the control housing with the kill sw, and install the key switch from the older (not flooded) control. When I dissembled it and went to wire in the kill sw. I noticed on the switch itself ('81) the same color wires were on different switch terminals. I wired the kill sw to the same color wire that it was wired to on the other switch. I hadn't tried it yet as I just bought a new cranking battery.

Question is did I correctly wire it? I certently don't want to short anything out.

I am in the process of getting a omc manual for the '81 70 hp Johnson, I recovered the omc manual I had for the '89 48 spl.

Thanks,
Beck

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: omc control switch wiring

not sure what you mean by "flooded" and "not flooded" - but in any case your kill switch should be wired from the black/yellow ignition wire to black (ground). The switch needs to be open for the engine to run, and closed to shut it off. The '81 and '89 will work the same so I bet you're good to go.

imported_beck

Seaman
Re: omc control switch wiring

Jt.. thanks for the input,

Flooded and not flooded actually means just that. The 89 model boat and motor was flooded by Katrina, sat underwater for 2-3 weeks until the water was pumped out of the parish. The 81 model was on a fiberglass rig that sorta floated around and didn't actually go underwater. My 89 48spl was seized but the 81 model 70hp runs great. I bought the '81 70hp and mounted it on my 16' tims flat. Reworked a larger front deck and now I have to rewire the bildge and lights. But it's almost ready for its maiden run with the new (older) outboard motor. Its starts quickly and sounds great. Prev. owner didn't return to the parish and gave it to his nephew before others stole it. I would see him pass the house when I was working on mine and told me 2 yrs earlier the compression was good and he had just put a 2-3 hundred dollar ss prop on it.

Beck