OMC Cobra Trim Indication Problem

Bingo

Recruit
While putting the boat on the trailer the outdrive moves up and down but the trim indication on the dash is showing just above full down and does not move. Trying to find possible problem and what I need to do to fix it and is it possible for the average weekend mechanic to do.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Trim Indication Problem

there is a trim sender in the pivot housing on the outdrive, go over to www.dougrussell.com <br />and look around in the OMC parts diagrams, you will see it there, it is a pain to change, because the sender wire has to be snaked through the transom, my mechanic drilled a hole in the transom mount so the wire could be snaked up the transom like a transducer wire. Sometimes they get crudded up with stuff so it may not work, you may be able to get it working again.

Bingo

Recruit

Hey Lou C. Thanks so much for the information. I am a first time boat owner and recently purchased a 1990 Four Winns Horizon 210 with a 4.3 OMC. It is a great boat but I have little or no experience working on it. I guess it will be trial by error for me but thanks for sending me in the right direction. I really appreciate it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Glad to be of help. FWs are good boats. The best thing you can do is find a dealer that serviced the OMC Cobras when they were being sold back from 86-93. I have a very good shop here in Long Island NY. The other thing is see if you can get an OMC shop manual, they are better than the aftermarket and may still be available. Take good care of those one piece exh manifolds, they are hard to get and expensive! There are companies making conversion kits to the 2 piece units. <br />For even more info do a search for Stuart Hastings' OMC Cobra site (search this forum) he put together a great website and it is a must read for any Cobra owner who wants to maintain it themselves. When properly maintained, they are good drives, as long as you can get parts.<br />A few hints:<br />if you change the gear oil, make sure you do it the OMC way, otherwise severe damage can result!!<br />the shift cable adjustment should be done by an OMC pro, it is not that easy to get right.<br />So look at Stuart's website, and get the manuals if you can.