OMC Cobra oil cooler question

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Four Winns with an OMC 3.0 liter Cobra SX.<br /><br />The question I have is on the oil cooler setup. (Called the oil cooler, but in schematics its part of the power steering pump system.)<br /><br />I recently finished up my spring maintenance, started up the engine, and then shut it down when everything looked ok. Afterwards I looked inside the engine area and I noticed the oil cooler leaking water. Do these breakdown often, or is it likely just its time to be replaced? If the water is leaking down, is it possible its leaking into the oil area as well? Is that system closed from the engine area and just a part of the power steering fluid system?<br /><br />I've already ordered the part from Doug Russell marine as I've sure its got a hole somewhere since its leaking water and its not the hose clamps or hoses connected to it. But should I be concerned about water mixing with the power steering oil, or mixing with the engine oil?<br /><br />Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Cobra oil cooler question

Afterwards I looked inside the engine area and I noticed the oil cooler leaking water. Do these breakdown often, or is it likely just its time to be replaced?
It's a power steering cooler, not engine oil. The 3.0's never had engine oil coolers.<br />What normally happens to cause them to leak is not being drained and then freezing. Usually it just pops the end off the the cooler and they can be resoldered. A simple pressure check of the oil side will tell you if there is a leak from the water to oil side.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Don.<br /><br />I had the feeling when looking at the schematic and tracing the hoses on the engine that it was power steering and not the engine itself. I think its just the misnomer in the manual and diagrams.<br /><br />Judging by the looks of it I think its probably the original one as it has some rust on the ends and around where it attaches back to the block. I've got a new one on order and should have it installed next weekend.<br /><br />I thought I drained out all the water this past winter, but some might have been still lurking inside that cooler. I'll have to try to do a better job of draining everything and leaving off the end of water line next winter.

whywhyzed

Banned

Power steering uses oil, and that cools the oil, so the book is correct...it's an oil cooler.