OMC Cobra gimbal bearing

kazanka

Cadet
Hello everyone. I am new to boats and this season I have to change the gimbal bearing on by 5.7 OMC Cobra.<br /><br />I did buy a gimbal bearing, the one that can swivel out of the outer race along with the grease seal that came with the package.<br /><br />I have the following questions then:<br /><br />1. The guy i bought the bearing from says I have to pull the old bearing with the outer race, not just swivel it out. Is this really necessary or just replacing the bearing itself is good enough? In the following link this method is referred to as "Method A": <br /> http://mercstuff.com/gimbalbearing.htm <br /><br />2. If I just swivel the old bearing out, can I still replace the grease seal behind it?<br /><br />3. How often would one change the grease seal?<br /><br />4. I don't seem to be able to get the new bearing out of the race by hand. How would I do that?<br /><br />Thanks everybody.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra gimbal bearing

1 & 4) You more than likely have to pull the old bearing. They rarely face the bearing race so that you can tilt it out. I would replace the whole bearing assembly anyway. It is not that hard to do.<br /><br />2 & 3) The grease seal is not that critical to change. I never bother with it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The bearing race is just as important to replace as the bearing itself.If the old bearing is worn the race is also.It would be like putting new brake pads on old worn out rotors...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The outer race is only used for tilting. There is another inner race where the bearings roll on.

kazanka

Cadet

bruceb58, thanks a lot for info.<br /><br />When you say they never face the bearing race, does it mean that my new bearing will not likely fit in the old race?<br /><br />Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The opening is facing the wrong way so you won't be able to tilt the old one out.

kazanka

Cadet

On mine the cutouts are facing aft. Does this mean I am OK?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

On a M/C you can, not sure if theres enouogh room on an OMC.you can do it this way IF the bearing DID NOT spin in the outer aluminum race and chew it up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yep...you are ok. I have never taken one out that way. Not sure how much force is required.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have to BUY the whole bearing, why not replace the whole bearing.<br />It's a Half-A$$ed method of replacing a gimbal bearing at best. Not everything on the net is the proper way to do things.<br />Since the slots are facing aft on your bearing, it sounds like it was done the wrong way before.<br />Why not fix it properly this time?????

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Yup. See Don S's signature/moto. Short cuts always end up biting you in the butt...at the worse possible time.

kazanka

Cadet

Thanks guys.<br /><br />So how do I get this outer race out of there tnen?<br /><br />Spin the bearing, take it out and then take out the race with the slide hammer?<br /><br />What is the best way anyway?

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

yep take the old slide hammer to her. dont just yank on one side though. move around the whole diameter to bring it out all at once not from just one side

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that bearing is 2 part. one is the carrier and tolerance ring the other is the inner bearing, they are factory matched, do not mix and match. you may get away with it but if your among the unlucky few the repair cost is wild :) . <br /> only takes once and the backyard tech that just bought a shield,shaft and coupler assy learns the hardway.

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buy a good service manual!<br />It has already saved my butt numberous times!<br />They are money well spent.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Merc used to sell you just the bearing at one time but figured out how to charge a bit more for it.When installing the new one make/borrow,rent the driver to install it properly otherwise youll be buying a new bearing.