OMC Bayliner Trophy ignition q’s

hoytheld

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all,

I just acquired a 1988 trophy with the 5L GM engine.. Previous owner stated the coil needs a hot wire jumped to it to start, and I confirmed this as well.
I checked voltage at the switch (3 wire). One is the hot feed, one gets hot on the first click, one is the hot to the starter (I assume that’s correct?). Anyway, how can I trace the hot feed from the switch to the coil In this mess of wires? Or, do I simply run a new wire from the switch to the coil, to make it easy?

thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
In all cases we need to know what your working on. Serial numbers are best but in this case and being a 1988 tells me its probably points distributor but need confirmation

louc

Seaman Apprentice
If it’s an 88 Bayliner it’s likely an OMC Cobra set up.

kenny nunez

Captain
Bayliner used a generic harness and it is not shielded. Follow the color of the wire from the ignition switch which should be purple in color To the rear of the boat. Inspect the condition fo the large pins in the main cannon plug where it plugs into the engine side of the harness.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
make sure it is wired properly to the starter I/R terminal
you dont want to run points directly to a 12 volt source.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the terminal on the starter that used to be labeled "I" for ignition that provides full battery voltage to the points when cranking.

that terminal may also be labeled "R" for relay.

standard wiring for points style ignition.