OMC 86 4.3L to vortec head swap help?

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, today i scored a whole 4.3 vortec motor for free(i thought). When i got there i saw that it has been outside for 2 years and the engine was siezed and full of rust and water.
I took the heads,intake mani and carb(2bbl unfortunately), and the exhaust manifolds. Are there any other parts i need to complete the swap? any pointers would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 86 4.3L to vortec head swap help?

Ayuh,.....

A 4bbl. Carb,+ It's Manifold..............

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

eventually the 4bbl and mani will come, but i got this at a good deal and would like to get the heads on and it running with the 2bbl. So am i going to need anything else?

marada1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You will go to a lot of trouble and headache for a small gain until you get the 4bbl. I have just completed this mod on my 1990 Cobra. Still calibrating the Edelbrock 1409 but getting really close to where I want it. You will have to make/modify shift and throttle brackets to fit the linkages and allow clearance for the carb, I had to move my alternater,etc. I could go on and on. I will be glad to tell you all I know about it when you are ready but my advice right now would be to do the 4bbl at the same time so you don't have to do all of this twice. Go ahead and take the Vortec heads to a good machine shop and get them checked out and reworked. Decide what manifold, carb, flame arrestor, and exhaust manifolds (if you still have the one piece "batwings" they will not work with the Vortecs) you want and start saving for them. It's a worthwhile endevor but some of it's a pain in the butt, especially on our OMCs.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i do have the new style exhaust manifolds to put on. do they bolt up easily or will they need modified to? my batwing manifolds are in great shape still, maybe i will put the merc. ones on and ebay my batwings to offset the preice a little. i just thought doing this now because i have it all would be a good start and i could alwasy put the 4bbl manifold and carb on later.