OMC 800 outdrive clunk

ratbag

Cadet
i have a problem with my 1985 omc outdrive. every now and then there's a clunk when i take off and also while at any other speed. it sounds like i hit something. one mechanic said it might be the gears in the lower unit. i'm thinking of pulling the outdrive for the winter and doing the repair myself. has anyone else had this problem, and how difficult is it to repair. would i be wise just to look for a used unit. thanks, bob

futz

Banned
Re: OMC 800 outdrive clunk

Hope you run the boat with the drive fully down, i mean anytime you run the boat.

Hows the ball gears?

And yes you can do it yourself, check the splines on the water pump shaft.

ratbag

Cadet

the drive is all the way down. the ball gears have wear maybe half way . would the spline on the water pump cause it? it seems to be random. so it's not on take off or at any given speed. but it really make a big clunk when it happens.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any chance it's dropping out of gear, then back in, really quickly? I don't know if this is even possible with the mechanical shift OMC's though.

futz

Banned

maybe the dog is slipping could be. prop? use some nail polish and run a line straight thru the hub and if the line moved next time you come off the water it's the prop.

But usually a prop at slow speed will not slip, and higher speed slip.

About a new unit lets find out whats wrong with the one you have.

cr2k

Captain

A slipping prop won't go clunk. Just Varoooom.

ratbag

Cadet

not the prop. i had a slip in that a year ago and replaced the prop. could it have something to do with the the shifting cable?

futz

Banned

half way used ball gears put a undo stress on the bearings and seals of the drive shaft. and the ball gear bearing and shaft of the gear in the drive.

Maybe unrelated, what is the idle, in the water in gear with a warm motor?

See if your shifting at too high a rpm, could have worn the dog, and now it's telling you the drive, hey check my dog.

Dog i seen on ebay also like 50-70 bucks. Cable a hell of alot more. And no i don't think it's a cable problem unless it's out of adjustments, but the thing is with the design of the dog, it just doesn't slip the dog unless really worn.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/product_support/omc/mechanical.cfm

Give this a read hope it helps, will show how to adjust if needed the cable.

Good luck !