OMC 5.8L Screeching, Power Steering Pump?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Bad belts, rusty pullets,..??

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check all belts for slippage. Glazed / shiny spots.

Toss a cup of water on the possible screeching belts. Water on the RUNNING & screeching belts will change the screech sound. Find which belt needs adjustment or change out.
Do NOT over tighten a belt adjuster !!!!!!!!!!!!! That WILL burnout bearings. Check all oil levels on the engine pumps also add if needed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would loosen each belt and spin the pulleys by hand you may have an accessory that is close to seizing up. Better to find it now. Also a bent or flexed mounting bracket may have mis-aligned the pulley. Lastly look at the harmonic balancer while the engine is running, is it wobbling?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS learned this the hard way once. The alternator on my 07 Grand Cherokee started whining a bit but still charged just fine. Not a sound from the belt! About 3 months later the battery light comes on & I get about a mile down the road towards home and one by one all the electrical stuff shuts off. Then the engine cuts out so I wrestle it into a parking lot. When I changed the alt it was close to locked up. Could not turn pulley by hand. So, find it now!

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Check all belts for slippage. Glazed / shiny spots.

Toss a cup of water on the possible screeching belts. Water on the RUNNING & screeching belts will change the screech sound. Find which belt needs adjustment or change out.
Do NOT over tighten a belt adjuster !!!!!!!!!!!!! That WILL burnout bearings. Check all oil levels on the engine pumps also add if needed.
Tried this. Didnt seem to change the noise much at all, but belts are cheap so Ill replace.

Power steering fluid level was fine.

LakeMichiganBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would loosen each belt and spin the pulleys by hand you may have an accessory that is close to seizing up. Better to find it now. Also a bent or flexed mounting bracket may have mis-aligned the pulley. Lastly look at the harmonic balancer while the engine is running, is it wobbling?

No pulley/harmonic balancer appeared loose or had movements out of the ordinary.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Honda Accord brand new had a belt squeal. Was a bad batch of brand new belts installed by Honda. Took 3 new Honda ones to get a good belt.