omc 5.8 1989 oil change best oil to use?

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About to change oil in engine . Omc recommends 30w oil . Is this the best oil to use in a hot Texas lake or is there something beter now.

happyhitter

Cadet
Re: omc 5.8 1989 oil change best oil to use?

Hi ther talies13, this always seems to be an ongoing topic. MY general rule of thumb nowadays is..."EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY". Most people and columnists say follow mfg's recomendations and most marina operators and mechanics say use conventional straight 30w. I use and suggest using a Synthetic oil and go with 10w-30 of a good known quality brand as these oils provide the best protection in all weather temps, control sludge and eliminate sludge as well as carbon build up in chambers (part where valves and spark plug is) AND is best choice for EFFICIENCY. When you can provide ANY sort of efficiency to ANY engine, your get two free components..... better gas mileage AND horsepower. Dont let ANYBODY tell you to not to use it....they're simply not informed yet on synthetics or are just not sold on it and are just plain stubborn. Remember one important thing here. All gas boat engines are not built by boat mfg's. They are engines that are made by either GM, Ford or Chrysler and are "crate" engines and are shipped out to boat building factories. (speeking mostly of v-8 and v-6 eng.) You didn't mention what type of engine you have so im gonna guess its a v-8 or v-6 so you're good to go if its one of these or even a 4 cyl. Diesels are different im sure. Most V-8 engines from GM and Ford are considered and built as replacement "truck" engines that work harder but can still benefit from synthetic oils. Its my opinion that conventional oils will soon be gone exept for a small quanity and few select grades. Maybe one exception here with your boat being run in a very warm climate and the possibility of your eng running strong and for extended periods of time running on the water would be to stick with conventional 30W oil, and change it half way thru the season. ALSO... if your temp gauge seems to indicate that its running a little on the warm or hot side, then also stick with conventional 30W. If temp gauge reads around 160 degrees or less, then I say use synthetic 10W-30 for best protection against sludge and carbon build-up. Most boat engines have 160 deg. thermostats. Sometimes they have cooler stats. I'v read where boat engines (V6,V8s) really need a stat of 190 or 195. This means that the eng will run better because its burning the fuel mixture more complete and thus it becomes more efficient. Theres that word "efficient" again! If ANY engine runs too cool, it will develope more carbon. AND carbon is or can be a real problem that gets misdiagnosed all the time. Run a Fuel Injection Cleaner now and then to help burn (or melt) off carbon from the chambers and hidden side of valves! Also run some Marvel Mystery Oil in fuel tank at times to further burn off carbon. Put it in engine oil and idle it for 20-30 minutes just before oil and filter change to help melt off or clean sludge/carbon from valve guides and valve stems too. Doing all this will ensure a quiet and smooth running engine and it will also be more EFFICIENT. I hope all this helps! IMO, it helps to have a "leg up" on competition when it comes to having an engine that runs better and is more efficient than the next boater with the same size engine, don't you think? It works for me! My 1994 Chevy pick-up has 305,000 miles on it and still gets 19.5 mpg's highway and it DOES have the origanal 5.0 ltr. motor in it! With a 205 degree stat in it too! EFFICIENCY is the new word of the decade. Have fun with it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well you can still use the straight 30 recommended by OMC or you can go up to a 40 weight since Merc recommended that for the same engines for temps over 50 degrees. They sell their own 25/40 weight, you can also use other oils approved by inboard engine makers using the same engines such as the 15w/40 oils rated for both gas and diesel engines. I would not use a car based 10W/30 for concern that it could shear down under sustained high rpm use.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks yall I think I will try a diesel oil that is 25/40 .diesel oil issuposed to have higher levels of zinc and rinc from what I have read is suposed to be good for older flat cam engines .

Alumarine

Captain

You say Efficiency is the new word of the decade. I guess Paragraphs are from another decade.:)

Hi ther talies13, this always seems to be an ongoing topic. MY general rule of thumb nowadays is..."EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY, EFFICIENCY". Most people and columnists say follow mfg's recomendations and most marina operators and mechanics say use conventional straight 30w. I use and suggest using a Synthetic oil and go with 10w-30 of a good known quality brand as these oils provide the best protection in all weather temps, control sludge and eliminate sludge as well as carbon build up in chambers (part where valves and spark plug is) AND is best choice for EFFICIENCY. When you can provide ANY sort of efficiency to ANY engine, your get two free components..... better gas mileage AND horsepower. Dont let ANYBODY tell you to not to use it....they're simply not informed yet on synthetics or are just not sold on it and are just plain stubborn. Remember one important thing here. All gas boat engines are not built by boat mfg's. They are engines that are made by either GM, Ford or Chrysler and are "crate" engines and are shipped out to boat building factories. (speeking mostly of v-8 and v-6 eng.) You didn't mention what type of engine you have so im gonna guess its a v-8 or v-6 so you're good to go if its one of these or even a 4 cyl. Diesels are different im sure. Most V-8 engines from GM and Ford are considered and built as replacement "truck" engines that work harder but can still benefit from synthetic oils. Its my opinion that conventional oils will soon be gone exept for a small quanity and few select grades. Maybe one exception here with your boat being run in a very warm climate and the possibility of your eng running strong and for extended periods of time running on the water would be to stick with conventional 30W oil, and change it half way thru the season. ALSO... if your temp gauge seems to indicate that its running a little on the warm or hot side, then also stick with conventional 30W. If temp gauge reads around 160 degrees or less, then I say use synthetic 10W-30 for best protection against sludge and carbon build-up. Most boat engines have 160 deg. thermostats. Sometimes they have cooler stats. I'v read where boat engines (V6,V8s) really need a stat of 190 or 195. This means that the eng will run better because its burning the fuel mixture more complete and thus it becomes more efficient. Theres that word "efficient" again! If ANY engine runs too cool, it will develope more carbon. AND carbon is or can be a real problem that gets misdiagnosed all the time. Run a Fuel Injection Cleaner now and then to help burn (or melt) off carbon from the chambers and hidden side of valves! Also run some Marvel Mystery Oil in fuel tank at times to further burn off carbon. Put it in engine oil and idle it for 20-30 minutes just before oil and filter change to help melt off or clean sludge/carbon from valve guides and valve stems too. Doing all this will ensure a quiet and smooth running engine and it will also be more EFFICIENT. I hope all this helps! IMO, it helps to have a "leg up" on competition when it comes to having an engine that runs better and is more efficient than the next boater with the same size engine, don't you think? It works for me! My 1994 Chevy pick-up has 305,000 miles on it and still gets 19.5 mpg's highway and it DOES have the origanal 5.0 ltr. motor in it! With a 205 degree stat in it too! EFFICIENCY is the new word of the decade. Have fun with it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You say Efficiency is the new word of the decade. I guess Paragraphs are from another decade.:)

Yeah. :facepalm: ......... "BAG" the Marvel Mystery Oil too..... It always amazes me that some think ADDING a light OIL mixed with naptha and lard (read increased hydrocarbons) can "clean" an engine.

Putting that stuff (or ANY oil, Diesel, Kerosene etc) in your fuel WILL reduce octane (number) and increase the risk of detonation. (DON'T DO IT IN A MARINE ENGINE!!!))

Most boat engines have 160 deg. thermostats. Sometimes they have cooler stats. I'v read where boat engines (V6,V8s) really need a stat of 190 or 195.

Most I/O marine engines have 140 degree t-stats. (unless they're closed cooling, then 160 is recommended) NEVER USE A 190 or higher stat! ESPECIALLY if you're running in salt water with a raw cooled engine!!

Also run some Marvel Mystery Oil in fuel tank at times to further burn off carbon......Put it in engine oil and idle it for 20-30 minutes just before oil and filter change to help melt off or clean sludge/carbon from valve guides and valve stems too.
Don't EVER do this in ANY engine that you suspect of having "sludge" because you can break that sludge loose on the "clean-side" of the filter and send it directly to a bearing journal. Can you say seized bearing?:eek:

My 1994 Chevy pick-up has 305,000 miles on it and still gets 19.5 mpg's highway and it DOES have the origanal 5.0 ltr. motor in it! With a 205 degree stat in it too!
The OP is talking about his marine engine in a boat. This is a marine I/O site.

About to change oil in engine . Omc recommends 30w oil . Is this the best oil to use in a hot Texas lake or is there something beter now.

If you don't want to use the type of oil recommended by OMC, Volvo Penta, or Mercruiser, You can basically use whatever you like. I would go with the oil that Volvo or Mercruiser suggests. If you park your boat in the water all the time, use an NMMA FC-W type oil since it's actually formulated for marine engines.....

Certification - FC-W

Other than maybe STABIL for fuel storage, DON'T put snake oil in your fuel or oil..........

ymmv,

Rick

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks yall I think I will try a diesel oil that is 25/40 .diesel oil issuposed to have higher levels of zinc and rinc from what I have read is suposed to be good for older flat cam engines .

Why? Diesel oil is different. Different additive package for different reasons.

That's a Ford engine (basic). Stick with what OMC recommended.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went with OEM 30w. I did add a Zink additive that is supposed to be good for older flatcam engines since the new oils have removed Zink from them because the kill catlic converters. So far it is fine. Allso replaced plugs with OEM.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I went with OEM 30w. I did add a Zink additive that is supposed to be good for older flatcam engines since the new oils have removed Zink from them because the kill catlic converters. So far it is fine. Allso replaced plugs with OEM.

It's good to protect your catlic converters......

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update on oil.... i went with recomended 30w oil and it seams to run much better. i guess when all else fails go with what the manufacture tells you to use:facepalm: