OMC 5.7. Totally frustrated

Teacher48

Cadet
1992 holly carb , points, Starts, idles for 5 secs, shuts down. New plugs, points, condenser, cap and rotor. Not wires. Machanical fuel pump, pumping plenty of gas. If I give it 1/3 throttle it screams a bit longer but then shuts down. Took carb off, cleaned front jets and idle ports out but looked ok , not a lot of dirt in carb.
On electrical side when points are open 12+ volts to coil, when points are closed 5+ volts to coil. I have no idea if this normal. Engine ran great all last year, started fine a month ago, was just idling on muffs then quit. Been messing with it ever since.
Definitely missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

kenny nunez

Captain
Did this problem happen before you replaced the ignition parts?
Where did the ignition parts come from?

Teacher48

Cadet
Problem of no spark happened before ignition parts. Replaced parts and boat idled fine and ran fine on muffs. Started boat on muffs for 3 or 4 days playing with idle speed and linkage, idle was high, then it just stoped. linkage was sticking after giving it gas. Points were from eBay, can’t remember name but popular site. Not original equipment

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What did you set dwell and timing to?

Did you set the float level?

Teacher48

Cadet
Did not set dwell, 0.018 on points. Did not mess with distributor. So did not reset set timing.
Additional question I have is 5.4 volts enough for coil to operate properly when points are closed, everything I read says 7 to 9 volts. Not sure it makes a difference however. 12+ volts when open.

kenny nunez

Captain
With the engine running the voltage should be 7-9. If there is a NAPA store in your area try to get a new set of points and condenser. As SD said Float setting is critical. Does the carburetor appear to be the original carburetor on your engine?

Teacher48

Cadet
carburetor does appear to be original. 4 barrel I’m going to check float setting today and clean needle valve. Points are from Sierra marine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did not set dwell, 0.018 on points. Did not mess with distributor. So did not reset set timing.
Additional question I have is 5.4 volts enough for coil to operate properly when points are closed, everything I read says 7 to 9 volts. Not sure it makes a difference however. 12+ volts when open.
As points wear, your dwell and timing change

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You should really set the dwell with a meter, I use a remote starter switch with the cap off and that is faster.
Set dwell, set timing and set idle in that order.
Setting dwell, idle and timing old school auto shop 101.JPG
idle is a little high, 630 rpm