OMC 5.0L starts then imediately dies

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1988 OMC 5.0L that starts then imediately dies (runs approx 2 seconds). It has a 4MV Quadrajet carb. Background is the engine has not ran in approx 2 years, supposedly was running when previous owner turned it off. I replaced spark plugs, rebuilt lower unit, replaced upper unit water pump, REBUILT CARB, changed oil/filter, changed fuel filter, cleaned fuel filter housing, cleaned fuel pump. There is fuel in the carb and you can see it squirt out of the accel pump if you go to WOT. The engine runs for the same amount of time at idle as it does at WOT only it revvs faster/higher at WOT than at idle. Any help including something that I might have screwed up in carb would be greatly appreciated.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC 5.0L starts then imediately dies

Turn ignition key on, with test light see if you have voltage at + side of coil

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that I may have figured it out. Looking at the wiring schematic it looks like there is a 12vlt start and 9vlt run voltage to the coil. This would explain the condition. I will chick it out and post back. Any other suggestions are still welcome.

Laddies

Banned

You could have a bad resistor wire, is your lanyard switch on ?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I think that you are barking up the wrong tree, thinking that it is a spark issue. I think that you are getting the short start from the fuel being delivered from the accelerator pump. Just like when you run out of gas and gotta dump some in the carb to get it to catch....And then because of bad float level it is being starved..... IMHO , I think you missed something when the carb got re-built....

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Elpaso you're exactly right! There is only .67Vdc to the pos side of coil with ignition switch in run. I also checked the layard safety switch and you can see a definite break in resistance with it opening/closing so it is good. My wiring schematic is vauge at best. I dont know which wire is 12v and wich is 9. It looks like the purple wire might go to the starter soileniod, so it is prob the 12. The red w/purp stripe I cant tell where it goes. Alternator maybe? or main harness. Any help would be apreciated.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Whoops! I miss read your post! Sorry! :eek: Purple/red should wind up at the alternator, but first goes through a connection...Purple/black appears to go to the solenoid on the starter. If you are grtting 12v at the coil in the 'start' position, but not in the 'run' position I would look at the connections on the red/purple wire....I would check for continuity along that wire....JK

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found it! There was a poor connection on the back side of the Alternator. Now it runs great, but I have even bigger issues! See CRACKED EXHAUST MANIFOLD