OMC 5.0 FORD 302 firing order.

alekseyss

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1992 Four Winns Horizon 190, with a Ford 302 engine. 5.0 OMC. Is anyone able to give me a diagram of the correct order the spark plug wires go from the distributor cap? I would greatly appreciate the info. I see plenty of diagrams online but it seems like some people specify one order and other specify another order not sure where the confusion is.

kenny nunez

Captain
It all depends if the engine is the 190 hp model.
13726548 will be the correct firing order. I realize this sometimes gets confusing so try both firing orders, one of them will work. You will know when you try to start it.

alldodge

Staff member
It all depends if the engine is the 190 hp model.
13726548 will be the correct firing order. I realize this sometimes gets confusing so try both firing orders, one of them will work. You will know when you try to start it.

Thanks Kenny, didn't know that, so looked it up
In 1994 the 5.0 HO came out

Click image for larger version  Name:	OMC Ford Firing Order.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	10868567

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are two firing orders for the ford 5.0 depending what cam is in it.

some engines were built with the GT40 heads and the 351 cam. these are the High Output motors as AD posted an image of.

as Kenny indicated, you will know the moment you try to start. it will either run smooth, or buck like a bronco

kenny nunez

Captain
I had a customer who had his 188 Mercruiser engine rebuilt and installed it in his boat but could not get it to run right.
It took me about an hour to figure out that the machine shop used the wrong 302 cam. I told him he now has a 170.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the firing order swap on fords between the windsor family is similar to the 4-7 swap on GM big blocks. it helps dampen intake pulses and develops a bit more power.

fortunately, the GM 4-7 swap never made it to a marine version, only custom-grind cams

alekseyss

Cadet
Thanks guys! Boat is running great with new wires and cap, it is the HO.. Thanks to all who responded! It’s parked now until my exhaust shutters come in. I’m pretty positive they are shot.