omc 4.3 cobra rear engine mount issue

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
i had to pull the transom/ gimbal assembly off this boat to replace the gasket. the boat sank and now i get to fix it. the whole assembly is back together but the engine will not align. the coupler sits too low in rear. i have adjusted the front mounts all the way down but can't get it where it needs to be. i unbolted the back mount nuts 2 turns and when i did , the alignment tool went in perfectly smooth. i then tightened the port rear mount while spinning the alignment bar and the aignment stayed perfect. when i tightened the starboard rear mount, the bar locked up again.
I find it very strange that just tightening the nut will cause it to move that much. you would think that the weight ofthe motor would be enugh to push down on the rear mount and snugging up the nuts is just a formality.
thoughts?
I know the square nut that the bellhousing sits on is threaded and i technically could rotate it up but i also know that is not the proper way to resolve this issue

kenny nunez

Captain
It could be that one stringer is slightly higher than the other. Loosen both front mounts and with either with a small bottle Jack under the front of the engine or if you have an engine lift try raising and lowering the engine until the tool fits. Then tighten the mount nuts and remember the rubber compresses slightly so the lower nut may need a 1/4 -1/2 turn to compensate.
Do not worry if the adjustment threads have a different amount of thread showing.
Also possible that the transom plate is not exactly at the same location vertically since the mounting holes are large enough for the plate to be slightly off where it was clocked originally.