OMC 3.0 won't start just clicks

Hcmcclay

Cadet
1986 OMC 3.0. Fully charged battery. Turn key to start and it just clicks once. Clicks once every time key is turned to start. Put battery cable straight to starter and it spun as it should. So thinking the problem is a selenoid. I tested volts on slave selenoid aND had 12v+ on the side from the battery. When key is turned to start I get around 8v on the small wire and 11v on the other big post. I tried jumping across the post but it doesn't do anything.
Then for some reason I touched the tilt button and noticed it clicked also. Then trim...same thing. Took cables off battery and cleaned them. Took wires off selenoid and cleaned. The only thing I am not sure of is the real selenoid at the starter. I tried touching some points on it with a hot wire but nothing happend. Oh and I can jump across the tilt and trim selenoids and it works. Something ain't right. It's in neutral. Is there a kill switch or something I am missing?

southkogs

Staff member
Anything memorable happen since it was working? Or is this a new-to-you boat?

superbenk

Commander
Check the main fuses. Should be one or two 50amp fuses. Though I don't think you'd get a click if the fuse was bad. Pull, clean & reinstall battery connections on both ends. Check grounds & clean/reinstall.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think the Cobras had 2 solenoids for the starter.
One on the starter and one next to the t/t cluster.

southkogs

Staff member
This should be a Stringer, right? I'd test all of the solenoids : starter, 2 for trim and 2 for tilt. If they all test functioning, and you're getting power down the wires to the motor(s), it's not uncommon for those tilt motors to let go (especially after nearly 30 years). I'd look at having the starter and motors rebuilt.

exesys

Recruit
Turn the key on and jump the starter posts with a screwdriver. If the starter turns over, it is a bad starter solenoid.
Otherwise, there is a good thread on here for troubleshooting.
Search
"How to: Troubleshooting your engines starting system." Posted June 30th, 2006.

Hcmcclay

Cadet
Is there a way to manually turn the engine over so I can verify it's not locked up? Was told to putt throttle up and try to turn propeller. I can't move it but a friend tried his boat that runs great and he couldn't move his either.so maybe that's not proving anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Key off perhaps even disconnect the battery, If the belts are tight enough you may be able to see if it'll turn by using the water pump. If not you'll need the appropriate large socket to fit the center bolt on the harmonic balancer and a breaker bar (maybe an extension also).

Turn clockwise