OMC 2.3L Ignition Problem

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's my problem....I am not getting spark from the coil at all. I have disconnected the grays wires from my coil, installed my spark tester and still nothing. I have 8.5Volts DC to the coil. I have checked continuity from the tower of the coil to the + post and - post. That checks good. Also have a back up coil and that to checks out. Tried the troubleshooting tips from the sticky threads in this forum and still nothing. Also check the ESA module and dip switches and they seem to be working just fine. I also installed new points and condenser plug wires, rotor and distributor cap. I also made sure points and condenser are not grounded or shorted. Also checked all the wiring from the ign switch to the engine harness. I also checked the resistive wire to the coil and that looks good.

Also ran a wire from a good 12V source, disconnected the gray wires installed my spark tester, checked for a good ground and still nothing. I am at a loss. Is there something simple I am missing??

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: OMC 2.3L Ignition Problem

Are the points sparking when you turn the engine over with the dist cap off?

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

No...nothing at all...I also put the old points and condenser back in...gapped to .025...still nothing. I even check all the grounds to make sure they are good. Went over the main engine harness and plug. Does anyone know what the ohms reading should be for the resistive wire?? I am stumped...:(

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have voltage to the points with them open and they don't spark when you turn the engine over, you have a bad ground between the points and the dist body. Remove the points and use a piece of emeroy cloth an clean the bottom of the points and the contact area on the dist mounting plate. If you want to do an easy check, run a jumper wire from the base of the points to a good ground and spin the engine over and see if you get the points to spark.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Daviet...I will try tomorrow afternoon and see..I'll update

Gettinther

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No...nothing at all...I also put the old points and condenser back in...gapped to .025...still nothing. I even check all the grounds to make sure they are good. Went over the main engine harness and plug. Does anyone know what the ohms reading should be for the resistive wire?? I am stumped...:(

Try this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=468655

Also are you gapping the points on the peek of the lobe or the flat , just checking cause i've seen it done before, should be the rubbing block on the point of the lobe