omc 175 powerhead compatibility???

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice
I have searched and not found a definitive answer. I recently aquired a boat with a 1991 Evinrude XP 175 model number VE175TXEID that has a bad powerhead and I also recently aquired a boat that has a 1983 Johnson 175 (sorry, don't have the exact model but its a typical crossflow V6, definitely an 83 though.) that has a good powerhead. I would just swap out the two motors entirely but the 1983 is a 20" motor and the 91 is a 25". So, what I am trying to determine is if the 83 powerhead will work on the 91 mid section and lower. The base gasket is the same part # so I am reasonably sure it will bolt up but I am unsure if the driveshaft will fit into the crankshaft splines correctly. The crankshaft part #'s are different as are the driveshaft part #'s but on the shaft, it is because the newer motor has a two piece where the old motor has a one piece. So, all you OMC experts out there, will it work? I would rather not have to tear apart the running motor if It is a futile effort. Thanks in advance for your help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc 175 powerhead compatibility???

The 1991 will be the big bore (3 5/8) and most likely have the pot belly exhaust and the 1983 will be the small bore (3.50) bore and should have the flat back exhaust. You will need to check part numbers and if the same install the pot belly exhaust over to the 1983.I dont think they will do to bigger bore but could be wrong. If not you will have swap out the adapter plate and drive shafts wont be a problem....