Olds

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Olds

My first car was a $100 Simca...does that count? An orphan to be sure<br /><br />Jinx

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

My older brother's first car was a '51 Henry J with the 4 banger jeep engine. Paid something less than $100 for it in '59. It was quick - should have been, the car weighed next to nothing. He carried a ball peen hammer around to bang on the linkage every now and then so it would go back in gear.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> <br /><br />JB, you left off AMC and Rambler. Everybodys dad (including mine) owned a Rambler.<br /><br />Ken
We had a Rambler.<br />I owned an AMC Gremlin for a while, worked with a Guy who had a Pacer.<br /><br />When in Indianapolis, I often drive by the old Stutz plant. <br /><br />Can you imagine buying a chassis from one company and taking it to another to have a body put on it?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We also had an AMC Hornet. It was a POS. From day one it had a ticking noise that was traced to the flywheel. Kept adding oil thinking it was a lifter.<br /><br />The flywheel had a defect that caused it to crack between the bolt holes. The new one did the same thing after 6 months.<br /><br />Then the headgasket blew, then the trans went out, etc, etc. It had a nasty habit of a loud backfire about 10 seconds after cutoff. We ducked when parking in bad neighborrhoods, thought someone was shooting. :D <br /><br />No wonder AMC went under, they made junk.<br /><br />Ken

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone remember the Crosley? I used to see these around when I was a little kid.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br />Shoulda also mentioned the Willys and Pierce Arrow.<br />
As a boy growing up, I lived blocks away from the old Willy's, aka Kaiser Jeep, aka AMC Jeep, aka Renault Jeep, aka Chrysler Jeep, aka Diamler Chrysler Jeep plant. I remember seeing train car loads of them little green vehichles being shipped off every day. <br /><br />Most of that plant is now torn down and a new state-of-the-art facility cross town was built a few years ago. Birth place of the LIBERTY.<br /><br />That plant has been and still is the backbone of the local economy.

tylerin

Commander

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> Does anyone remember the Crosley? I used to see these around when I was a little kid.
I saw the last game at Crosley field in Cincy w/ my Father and Grandfather. They use to shuttle a Crosley in the Ballpark every now and then. I don't think I could get into one. My grandmother had a crosley washing machine

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That Toledo Willys plant was one where you wouldn't get bored on the assembly line. In 1954 they produced Kaisers, Jeeps, Willys Wagons and Willys Aeros (a small 2-door sedan) all on the same line.<br /><br />Remember the Go Devil engine? A Willys trademark.<br /><br />Jinx

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ae708.<br /><br />I actually had a couple of Crosleys. Built an H-modified sports racer from one. Turned near 10,000rpm and went like stink. It weighed about 600lb.<br /><br />Surprising: Powell Crosley, the CEO of Crosley was 6'4" and drove around in a Crosley all the time. A lot more room in there than you might think.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> <br /><br /><br />Can you imagine buying a chassis from one company and taking it to another to have a body put on it?
KaGee, I believe thats exactly what GM did for years till they finally bought Fisher Body.<br /><br />Olds was headquartered here, my dad was an engineer there his entire careeer so it's been sad to see the (unecessary, imo) decline :confused:

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, BMB, it is sad. A bad marketing decision by the parent company, and no one with enough guts to say, "We made a mistake, let's change it." So, to all of us with fond memories of Oldsmobiles, the special "Hurst" packages, the 442's, the original Toronado with the hidden headlights, etc, we must say goodbye to an era. But we don't have to forget. Olds, thanks for the memories!

KennyKenCan

Commander

Anyone remember the "AllState", sold thru the Sears & Robuck Catalogue for $450?<br /><br />My Dad had one.<br /><br />Was basically just a rebadged Kaiser.<br /><br />He drove it for 22 years!

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury will be gone for sure. It will happen just like Plymouth. I have ties with the automotive business, and am aware Mercury is already gone in Canada.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> So Old becomes another to add to the list in my lifetime.<br /><br />Deusenberg<br />Cord<br />Auburn<br />Rockne<br />American Austin<br />Bantam<br />Crosley<br />Kaiser<br />Frazer<br />Hudson<br />Nash<br />Packard<br />Studebaker<br />Edsel<br />DeSoto<br />Plymouth<br /><br />Now Olds.<br /><br />Next? Mercury, Pontiac, Saturn, Lincoln?
Hey JB where is YUGO? :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> Anyone remember the "AllState", sold thru the Sears & Robuck Catalogue for $450?<br /><br />My Dad had one.<br /><br />Was basically just a rebadged Kaiser.<br /><br />He drove it for 22 years!
My dad had a 54 Kaiser. It was a tank. Had the hood open alot too. Finally got a 57 Fairlane.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Simca and Yugo were not US makes. I only listed US makes.<br /><br />The Allstate was a rebadged Henry J, as I stated above.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Sears Allstate also had motorcycles and scooters, Mostly Italian bikes that they bought and slapped the Allstate name on. Many different brands of small motorcycles from the 50's and 60's were the same bike with just a different badge on em. They are starting to catch on in the antique MC circuit and bring some money.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '62 Olds with a 394cid. One of the best engines I have ever seen. 345HP from the factory. You could balance a nickel on edge on the air cleaner while it's idling.