Olds

tylerin

Commander
Did I hear correctly, Oldsmobile just pulled its last car off the assembly line? <br />I had a 69 Olds 442, my first luxury car ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Olds

Oldsmobile products are no longer being produced. <br /><br />Below you will find an outline of the Oldsmobile production schedules.<br /><br />Product Models <br />Alero 2004 Production ended 5/2004 <br />Silhouette 2004 Production ended 3/2004 <br />Bravada 2004 Production ended 1/2004 <br />Aurora—V8 2003 Production ended 5/2003 <br />Aurora—V6 2002 Production ended 6/2002 <br />Intrigue 2002 Production ended 6/2002

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Olds won't be the last. There are too many brands out there, and there will be increased changes as China comes on line as an exporter of vehicles around the world.<br /><br />Analysts are saying that Mitsubishi may get out of auto business. Saturn could be next with GM, except they have a lot of investment to give them a red face. Rumors about Mercury have persisted for years.<br /><br />In Europe, Fiat is on the ropes, among others.<br /><br />We'll see<br /><br />Jinx

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by tylerin:<br /> <br />I had a 69 Olds 442, my first luxury car ;)
Sweet car,you don't see many of them around here anymore.First race I ever lost in my 70 camaro was to one,man that car was quick :)

JB

So Old becomes another to add to the list in my lifetime.<br /><br />Deusenberg<br />Cord<br />Auburn<br />Rockne<br />American Austin<br />Bantam<br />Crosley<br />Kaiser<br />Frazer<br />Hudson<br />Nash<br />Packard<br />Studebaker<br />Edsel<br />DeSoto<br />Plymouth<br /><br />Now Olds.<br /><br />Next? Mercury, Pontiac, Saturn, Lincoln?

TilliamWe

Banned

They decided to kill Olds like three years ago. I never understood why they kept prodcing them all this time, after they went public with the decision. And no, it wasn't to "use up" parts. They gave Olds a brand new style Bravada.<br /><br />My guess is that Mercury will be next.<br />I can't see GM killing Saturn, they have WAY too much invested.<br />Buick is a possibility.<br />Mitsu is not getting out of the car business, they may just decide to stop selling in North America.<br />It could get interesting in the next 5 years!

Twidget

Commander

Wonder if Buick will be next
I dont think so, Olds and Buick pretty much went after the same market segment. I never could understand why GM had two divisions that went after the same $$.<br /><br />I dont really understand the Plymouth kill off. Plymouth was the low price, Dodge is performance and Chrysler is luxury. <br /><br />On a humorous note, I know a guy that was helping his mom buy a new car in 2003. She really liked the Chrysler Sebring. He told her that Chrysler was in too much turmoil to buy from them at the time, what did he talk her into? An Olds Alero. :confused: :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Buick has some of the best customer satisfaction in the USA, dont think they will be getting rid of it anytime soon.<br /><br />Olds was not required anymore.<br /><br />Buick is a poor mans Caddy.<br />Pontiac is a rich mans Chevy.<br /><br />No room for a fifth.<br /><br /><br />JB, you left off AMC and Rambler. Everybodys dad (including mine) owned a Rambler.<br /><br />Ken

aspeck

Staff member

According to the courts, Tucker never made it to mass production.<br /><br />Yes, it was a sad day when Olds announced its intentions. We used to sell them. It was not long ago, and with much excitement when they went over the 3 million units per year figure and overtook Pontiac in sales. Then came the realignment of GM, and Olds became the odd division out. Olds went for the "overseas" look and crowd and tried to get away from being "your father's Oldsmobile." Problem was, people liked them because they were "your father's Oldsmobile!" Sales declined and rapidly, and GM never really put forth an effort to right the ship. Made it difficult for a lot of Dealers who had their investment pinned to Olds. that is why they stayed in production for so long, to give the dealers a chance to unload models, and find another avenue for income. This way GM hoped to avoid lawsuits.

ebbtide176

Commander

man, the late 70's and especially the early 80's cutlass were some nice looking cars. its funny i guess, but i remember the little town i went to high school - i got my first "you gotta be kiddin" look when i turned the breather cover lid over on my bud's cutlass. it was like adding a supercharger to it. :D his dad was the mayor, and we did a burnout out of the driveway that night.

aspeck

Staff member

I have a nice '63 Cutlass F85, shame it is a 4 door. All original, except for the hoses and belts. Yes, even the tires are original (a little dry rotted, but original). Car as less than 5,000 miles on it! You heard correctly!<br /><br />Sold it new to a lady, and she never drove it. When she wanted to get rid of it, she offered it to her daughter, who at the time said it was not worth driving 300 miles for a 10 year old car. She offered it to us second. We quickly told her it was worth more to us than what she was offering and her reply, "That is okay, I would just give it to you, but it ain't right giving a car to someone who is not a relative."<br /><br />Have had it ever since. Put a few miles on it each year, just to keep everything working.

JB

Yeah. Shoulda mentioned the Rambler, even though I always thought of it as a Nash, which merged with Hudson to form AMC, then bought Kaiser-Jeep.<br /><br />Shoulda also mentioned the Willys and Pierce Arrow.<br /><br />I don't count the Tucker, Bricklin and DeLorean becasue they never really got off the ground.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

And from the Kaiser-Frazer company the Henry J -1951-1953. K-F called it the lowest priced car and boasted 30-35 mpg. Even had the fisherman in mind - or so said their marketing.<br /> 1951 K-F Models

JB

Oh, yeah. The Henry J (Kaiser's name).<br /><br />Sears sold the Henry J relabeled as the "Allstate".<br /><br />The 6 cylinder version was a pretty hot car for the early 50s.