Older Johnson Seahorse help please new member

Thank you for looking.
I have an older Johnson, it has a pull start, but also a red "push switch" and it works.

The other day, I was putting the battery in after the winter, and off came a red small cable that seemed to come from nowhere.

Without the wire attached, of course the push button wouldn't work anymore. After I removed the cover, I saw it could only have come from one place, and I assumed it was suppose to be attached to the other side, like the other one, 2 cables attached.

However, this did not work.

I thought maybe the switch need to be put back on properly ( to ground) but that wasn't the case either.

I am no electrician, and I am very reluctant about putting that fallen cable on the other side, meaning there would be 3 cables attached, and I don't want to burn the wires up.

Also, when I did attach this cable to the side that it seemed to fall off of, when i attach the cable to the battery, it wants to start just by touching the wire to the battery, so this doesn't make sense, because it seems to be by passing the switch and starting on its own.

Sorry for the long explanation, but the question is......where does this other cable go to?

Below I am pointing to the thinner cable of the 2 red wires, in case your wondering which goes where.

Thank you.

Attachments

• P1040475.jpeg
    P1040475.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • P1040526.jpeg
    P1040526.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • P1040529.jpeg
    P1040529.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be a 1980 model.-----Hooking up wires by guessing can lead to expensive smoke / repairs.-----You need to find a wiring diagram for it.----Very easy for me to sort this out.----But for some reason wires and 12 volts are difficult to explain from my desk.

I know what you mean, that is why I took so much time to explain.

Again, simple, there are 4 wires.

One fell off.

One of the posts on that start button has 2 together as you can see.

I presume the other one then goes to the 'other side" meaning 2 wires in each side.

But that doesn't work, and when I go to try putting it like that and attaching the wires to the battery, it already tries to start the engine without pushing the button.

No. The button couldn't be broken, it was working right before the wire went off.

Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would say that putting a red and black on the same terminal is a mistake.-----Are there 2 identical looking switches on this motor?.-----One that you push to start.----And one that is pushed by the shift lever when motor is in neutral ?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
red is power sometimes directly off the battery and DOESN'T mix well with black
please post picture of name/mdl plate

follow the burnt red wire ...where does it go to ?? post pictures

being burnt indicate high current and if current flowed in the switch the contacts may be welded closed . you can always disconnect and remember where wires go and....
then test the switch continuity on it'Sown with a VOM

switch is likely NORMALLY OPEN (not pushed in) so if you read 0 ohms the contacts are welded shut ...replace

but you still need to find out why the excess current burnt that wire and damaged the switch's internal contacts

Last edited:
red is power sometimes directly off the battery and DOESN'T mix well with black
please post picture of name/mdl plate

follow the burnt red wire ...where does it go to ?? post pictures

being burnt indicate high current and if current flowed in the switch the contacts may be welded closed . you can always disconnect and remember where wires go and....
then test the switch continuity on it'Sown with a VOM

switch is likely NORMALLY OPEN (not pushed in) so if you read 0 ohms the contacts are welded shut ...replace

but you still need to find out why the excess current burnt that wire and damaged the switch's internal contacts
Thanks, but if you read the post, no wire was burned.

I would say that putting a red and black on the same terminal is a mistake.-----Are there 2 identical looking switches on this motor?.-----One that you push to start.----And one that is pushed by the shift lever when motor is in neutral ?
No identical, just on the other side there is the shut off button.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe that the wiring is factory original.----Therefor I can not be of any help on this motor.-----I can not see your motor or the wiring.------Good luck with it !

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Pictures from farther back may help. 1st pick I see no black wire, 2nd one I do. I do not really see a missing wire, maybe a missing connector but your pointing to the electrical block located near the rectifier. Might be stealing the hot wire and running it over to the solenoid to crank the starter.

Button seams damaged.

Better pics and post entire engine under the cowling.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Actually I have one in my garage and could look at it if I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.