Older in-dash Depth Sounder is vibrating

SDP123

Cadet
Hello. I purchased a used boat with an in dash Humminbird Depth Sounder. The boat is a 1992; I'm assuming the sounder is as well.
Problem: The unit vibrates pretty bad. If I rotate the unit while it is powered, the vibrating either gets better or worse. So, something is out of balance. There is no model number that I can find, so that I might find a manual. Does anyone know why it would wobble/vibrate so badly?
Thanks.

Attachments

• HumminbirdBack.JPG
    HumminbirdBack.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • HumminbirdFront.JPG
    HumminbirdFront.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Older in-dash Depth Sounder is vibrating

you can try a bead of silicone around the lip and set in place let it dry and see if it stops.

trumanlake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it actually working, orange flash at zero?

SDP123

Cadet

Yes, it is working, it's just got quite the vibration going on. When it is powered up, removed from the dash, I can change the loudness/intensity of the vibration if I rotate it, tip it, or just alter the axis it is spinning on.
I emailed Humminbird with the ID #. Their response is below. I hate the idea of having either an empty hole in the dash, or a hole full of a broken flasher. A new one's not in the family budget.

"Sir,
The disc that holds the bulbs may be causing your unit to vibrate.
However,this unit has been retired from production and due to continuous improvements and rapid advancements in component technology in the consumer electronics business; components can become quickly obsolete and no longer available. This can affect our ability to service non-current, out-of-production products. You may visit our web site to check out new models produced."