Older Boats

Dahlia45

Cadet
As I am looking for a boat, I have seen a couple older 1960's boats. I like these. They arent too long. I dont mind repainting it, or replacing the chairs and some carpet. I can work with wood. What I am curious about are the outboard motors. The few boats I have seen need an outboard motor and have a steering wheel at the front. Is there a pully system? If any of you could steer me towards a diagram? Also, from what I understand, there are some lakes that are a no gas motor lake?
I need to know what I am getting into before I have my mind set on a type of boat. Please remember I will be using this for the lake and hugging the coast in the ocean. Just to relax and fish.
Thank You!

matt167

Rear Admiral
A 1960’s runabout doesn’t belong on the ocean… a 1960s fiberglass runabout will need a full restoration if it hasn’t been… a 1960’s tin runabout will need less to restore but still probably needs a deck and transom. All of these boats would have a cable drum steering system. It works fine and it can be hooked up to a modern outboard without issue. I’ve done it

airshot

Rear Admiral
Old fiberglass boats on the ocean is a scary thought . The wood skeleton inside the glass rots and weakens the hull. Much time, effort and money to rebuild.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
An ocean capable boat is one thing. A no-gas motor lake boat is yet another. Likely impossible to find something that will do both. That's why many of us own more than one boat.

Old outboards in good condition are fine. But you better buy a model where parts are still available, and you need to be a competent enough mechanic to do all the work yourself. Very few marinas will even work on them any more. I am blessed in that such a shop is located right down the road from me. But it's funny, the same boats are there all the time because they keep breaking down.

(I will be chastised for this because there are many 2-stroke aficionados on the site.) I used to be one myself until I bought a new 4-stroke...

I own wood, glass AND aluminum boats. My glass ones are daily drivers, my woodie is a labor of love that goes to shows and my metal boat is the kickaround that never needs anything.

Post a pic of a potential choice and we can steer you in the right direction.

flashback

Captain
You sound as if a kayak might work. Relax and fish. Some are good for a good day on the ocean.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Curious here, where are these places that no longer work on two stroke out boards ? With the exception of our local BP store, most all other marine repair places are happy to work on two stroke outboards. Now, some of the really old stuff no...to hard to locate parts, but anything 80's and newer, I have found no issues at all. Being near lake erie means we have a fair number of boat and motor repair places which claim most of their business is two strokes. Perhaps we are the oddballs here, but I hear this often, but don't see it !

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Cable and pulley systems are pretty safe for HP less than 50-75HP, if the components are up to it and well secured. It gets iffy with larger motors. It is best to go to a single cable R&P or Rotary system for larger motors.

The paradox with boats is that heavy boats perform best in heavy conditions. They need to be strong and well powered as well.

A lot of the 60's boats were made light to be powered by smaller OBs, which was all they had back them. These light boats pop around like corks in even small chop. They would be tough to use in the ocean, except for very calm days.

briangcc

Commander
I shudder at the mention of shear pins. Dark ages. But they'd more likely than not be involved in motors of similar vintage you're looking at. The MFG in my signature had one and it was a pain to change when it sheared after hitting a submerged log in the middle of the lake. You're going to be in the water changing it and heaven help you if you drop the cone nut in the process.

Cable and pulley steering is what this boat had. Large drum that kept excess cable on the steering column (if you will) which ran to pulleys in the front and then shot down the sides of the boat to the back and another set where it then had yet another set on the motor. It worked, needed regular oiling of the pulleys to keep everything moving properly.

That boat is something I wouldn't even remotely think of taking out in the ocean. No bilge, crude construction, very little floatation (chunk of white styrofoam under the closed bow). Not on a dare.

Some lakes are used as a fresh water supply and have restrictions such as no gas motors or electric only. I know some lakes in PA are HP restricted which is why some of the 18' boats that come up on Craigslist there have 30HP motors on them.

Realistically, you're probably looking at 2 boats - one for lakes, one for ocean use. Or kayak/canoe it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Old fiberglass boats on the ocean is a scary thought . The wood skeleton inside the glass rots and weakens the hull. Much time, effort and money to rebuild.
Decades ago, I thought I wanted a popular open FG boat (front deck, dash, cable steering, board seat fitting 2 folks with back, with a 75 HP 4 cylinder Johnson. I took it for a test drive and the water test revealed that the deck (floor) and the hull were no longer intact and you could watch the joint between them flex.....obviously the deck wood was rotten, causing the glassed over "joint where they meet" to fatigue and crack and probably the stringers to go along with it. Took it back and said no thanks. Without the water test I could have made a grave mistake.

Be very careful about wanting what you think you want. It could easily be "a can of worms".

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
An older fiberglass would be a much better overall choice and there are some pretty cool looking ones you can restore much easier than a wood boat.Charlie

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Curious here, where are these places that no longer work on two stroke out boards ? With the exception of our local BP store, most all other marine repair places are happy to work on two stroke outboards. Now, some of the really old stuff no...to hard to locate parts, but anything 80's and newer, I have found no issues at all. Being near lake erie means we have a fair number of boat and motor repair places which claim most of their business is two strokes. Perhaps we are the oddballs here, but I hear this often, but don't see it !
Maybe it is a regional thing.

I'm in Western NY and we have at least a dozen boat dealers. Most sell Mercruiser or Mercury 4-stroke OBs. The only Yamaha dealer went out of business, we have only 1 Honda dealer and the Tohatsu dealer only sells kickers.

The ONLY dealer that will work on 2-strokes is a repair shop only. He does not sell boats, and does not work on 4-strokes.

I hear it often as well, but around here it's true. Most of the mechanics are relatively young guys and are good diagnosing with a computer, but don't have the experience with anything old. The dealers only want to sell new boats, and don't stock old parts any more.

I had my 2018 car serviced at a local shop the other day and the young mechanic brought it up to the front. We chatted for a minute while the clerk was typing up the bill. I just casually mentioned how well cars run these days....sure better than the days of points and condensers. He said "What?". He did know what a carb was, but said he had never rebuilt one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, how many small engines went to the dump because of a dirty carb? I would bet it was a few....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The main issue with older 2 strokes is the labor cost. You spend say 4 hours re-building a carb and tune up, at $100+ an hour it adds up to you may as well bought a new smaller outboard.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I beg to differ. If you can find someone to work on an older 2 cycle OB, I would expect the cost of the same repair on a 4 cycle outboard would be more. Also 4 cycle maintenance is more involved and therefore more costly.

2cycle motors are real simple. You plug in fresh fuel and go. Keep the fuel clean and fresh, change your gear oil and seal any leaks in the gearcase and you are good for a lot of years. Here on the salt pond, the oil burnt also helps keep the rust down.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
A boat and motor from the 60’s is simply a project, a very expensive and time intensive project. That’s a 60+ year old boat. There are hundreds of unknowns with a boat/project like that. If you’re into doing an expensive project and have copious amounts of personal time then go for it.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The main issue with older 2 strokes is the labor cost. You spend say 4 hours re-building a carb and tune up, at $100+ an hour it adds up to you may as well bought a new smaller outboard.
Wait until you see the labor in fixing a newer four stroke...a friend from a local big dealership says they don't fix much on newer motors, just exchange for a rebuilt powerhead. Minor repairs that can be diagnosed on a computer is all the shop does. When a serious issue arrises, swap out remanufactured blocks.

briangcc

Commander
In 4 yrs of ownership, I only did oil changes on my Honda 4 Stroke 115HP. And I mean I did them, no other maintenance required.

Might have been plugs too as required...but those were dead simple.

It was built like a tank, weighed like one too! But dead silent and no smoke screen worthy of the Marines invading Normandy. I'd own another in a heartbeat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey guys.... back on topic of old runabouts, lets not turn this into a 2-stroke vs 4-stroke debate.

Dahlia45

Cadet
I prefer older. Engines seem simpler. How much older I'm willing to go depends on how work intensive it will be. I'm always up for a good project though. I just finished my homemade travel trailer. I didn't build it, I just fixed it up and did repairs. However, as for a boat...something new to learn. And I am the adventurous person. Lol
Now I'm off to do more research! 😁