Older 6.2 GM Diesel for marine use????

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice
Have any of you had any experience with the 6.2 V-8 diesels in a marine application? I have a friend who was planning on using a 6.2 in a marine application. He has gone as far a purchasing the exhaust and flywheel cover for the Borg Warner style bolt pattern and will be using it in front of the older AQ series (80's) Volvo Penta stern drive. I have not seen one of these used this way before. Any experience with these you could share and/or comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Laddies

Banned
Re: Older 6.2 GM Diesel for marine use????

The 6.2 my neighbor had in his pickup had no torque to speak of at all, even with a turbo so I wonder if it would work well in a marine application---Bob

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

its getting it one step closer to its destiny..... a boat anchor. :D

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for your thoughts. As I suspected, this would not make a good marine engine. I have been around boats for years and, to date, have not seen one of these in a marine application. I will pass this on. Rick<br />PS. as for it's destinay as an anchor, there is no good connection for the chain on these.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the 6.2 was never a good motor compared to the others out there. It would probably be a better gen motor.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are Commercial Fishermen on the coast of NC that are using these engines in their boats. I have been told that they are not run higher than mid RPM range. One that I know of was put in a Penn Yann cruiser that has worked well.<br />If the injector pump goes your friend will wish he had never put it in. Rebuilds can go as high as $1,000.

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

I thank all of you who have commented on the 6.2 engine. As suspected, this is not a good choice for marine use.

18rabbit

Captain

As absolutely wonderful as this forum is (an it is!!!) there is not much support here for diesel engines. For marine diesel applications see:<br /><br /> BoatDiesel.com <br /><br />That's the forum where the hardcore marine diesel folk live.