Old Trailer Paint?

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Does anyone know what the prep work was on old trailers? Mine is a Shorelandr from 1976. It looks like someone sprayed it with rattle can primer over the old paint. I want to strip it for new paint but if it has a factory coat underneath of galvanized or epoxy I don't want to remove the original rust prevention coating. The trailer does not appear to have ever seen salt water and I don't see much if any rust on the trailer frame. It came out of Colorado. I was going to have it blasted and powder coated but the boat restoration has blown my budget for the trailer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many times, it was a one-shot paint/primer mix

if your budget is blown, put a cup brush in the 4.5" angle grinder, take off everything that flakes off. then hit the surface with 120 grit in the DA. when done, spray rustoleum primer, then rustoleum top coat with a hardener

Bondo

Staff member
many times, it was a one-shot paint/primer mix

if your budget is blown, put a cup brush in the 4.5" angle grinder, take off everything that flakes off. then hit the surface with 120 grit in the DA. when done, spray rustoleum primer, then rustoleum top coat with a hardener
Ayuh,..... I've done just that, 'n it holds up very well,....