old prop = nut keeper, new prop = none

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to test out a lower pitch prop on a 115 merc and my 19p has a nut keeper with the tabs that push into slots in the prop. The 17p prop dosn't have any slots to use on the hub. Will the same nylon nut hold it in place with "50 ft/lbs" of tourque. (how many hits with a hammer on a wrench is tha anyways?)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: old prop = nut keeper, new prop = none

Don't bet on it; in theory yes, but Merc has that lock nut on for a reason, insurance, if nothing else. Lots of people don't think to check their prop nut, so if it gets loose they never know it till it's too late. The lock incures it stays secure.<br /><br />For what it's worth, my current boat was 2 years old and when I was examining it for purchase, I could move the prop about 1/8" back and forth on the shaft. Obiously it was not installed correctly, but it did have the locking tab installed. <br /><br />It could be a throwover from before the days of thru hub exhaust when they had an aluminum cone (hub) and it was locked in place (only locking device) with a sorta similar disc with tabs on it that locked into the hub(same function).<br /><br />Then when the went to the thru hub and used the brass nut with nylon locking insert, they kept the tab locking device. Who knows why, other than to insure that you don't loose your prop while on an outing.<br /><br />If you decide to run without it, maybe you could check the nut for the first few hours and if it stays intact, maybe you are good to go with an occasional check from time to time.<br /><br />So the question in my mind is where did you get a prop without a Merc hub?<br /><br />HTH<br /><br />Mark

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is borrowed from a friend to test out a different pitch. Rumor has it that I may be over propped. But I don't wanna loose my stainless steel prop if I don't have to so I thought I would try a different one first.

walleyehed

Admiral

Is this borrowed prop for a merc/??if not, you may not have the correct thrust washer to even run it..

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It came off of an older model merc. I'll try to contact my owner and see how he used it. Maybe he forgot to give me the locking mechanisim.