old mercury 5 hp

teamADR

Cadet
I picked up this old mercury 5hp at goodwill for 10 bucks it seems to have good compression was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out how old it is. All it says on motor is mercury KF 5 kickhaefer built in cedarburg wisconsin serial no 339672 I saw a picture that looks exactly like the motor and it was a 1949. I want to put some gas in it to see if it fires but need to know the mix ratio. I think it might have only a forward gear on it because I cant find a shifter anywhare on it and the motor looks complete.also what might be the value on a old motor like this? its looks like its in really good shape for how old it might be, and where can you buys parts if i need them. any info on this motor would be appreciatedd:)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: old mercury 5 hp

Hi TeamADR,
Yes, your motor is a 1949 model (http://www.oldmercs.com/kf5.html). Great little motors. You are correct, it does not have neutral, but will spin around 180-degrees for reverse. Run it at a 24:1 ratio. I have a KF5 and its later cousin, the Mark 5, and both have a good kick for their size.
However, more than likely you will find issues with the ignition and it probably needs a waterpump impeller. Grubb's (www.oldmercs.com) has the service manual and the parts you'll need to get it going again. Any of the old green tank Mercs are well worth putting a few bucks into and getting them going properly...
Have fun!
- Scott