Old Lehmans Won't Start Unless Jumped

BruceonZingara

Recruit
I have an old 1978 Defever with Lehman 120's and all of a sudden I get nothing when I rotate the ignition switch to S (start) on either engine. To eliminate a lot of discussion, I can jumper straight from battery to starter solenoid on each and start from helm using switch. This eliminates, switch, breakers (that I know of), start relay, starter solenoid, batteries (new Optima). I have bypassed switches. I have 12 volts at the cable leading to the solenoids. But, neither will kick when twisting switch at the helm to start. However, both with start using helm switch when only positive is jumped directly from battery to solenoid. I have disconnected the on/off switches and jumped from the battery side of the switch. I have disconnected a parallel solenoid that evidently kicks whenever either engine is being started to put both starter batteries in parallels. The only thing I see common is a BlueSea BatteryLink ACR pn 7600. According to what I've read this is only to assist for charging. I have a call into BlueSea; but, I thought I would throw this out for ideas... Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy.

Sounds like you skipped checking power cables. Any swelling or crud around the battery connectors/

BruceonZingara

Recruit
New batteries and cleaned cable before attaching. But, both port and strbd occurred at same time. I would understand if it was one or the other. They each have their on batteries and paths, except for that parallel solenoid and manual switch. I'm still working the problem. Thanks for your input and keep noodling.
I am done waiting for feedback from BlueSea. That device is about to be removed from the equation. Get it down to simplicity and work it from there.
Thanks again...

BruceonZingara

Recruit
BTW... For sure there needs to be some cable replacement. I'm working on that as I'm working the problem. I built 3/0 14' cables with terminals on one end and heavy clamp on the other. That's what I used to bypass all and go straight from batteries to starter solenoid. The old cables have surely corroded in the terminal over the years and the switch contacts are probably not much better. But, I was able to start both shut them down to pump out and nothing when I tried to restart. It's a boat :)... thanks again