old glastron i got for free.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer
theres a rebuilt volvo 270 in this glastron i just got for free. these outdrives, how are they as far as being durable. the boat has been garage stored. theres also an engine in this thing but im not sure what it is. and no i dont have the serial numbers on it yet. but its a volvo b-30 inline 6 is this a volvo engine or one from the three?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: old glastron i got for free.

It's probably a Volvo 170 but most of them came with a 280 outdrive, there was also a Volvo 165 from the late 60's but had a 250 drive.
There should be a brass tag rivited to the engine that gives the model and serial number. That old, the serial number may not even help.
Go to this link and check out the 165's and 170's and see if they look like what you have.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo.../outofproductionengines/gasengine/sterndrive/

PS: From what I have seen over the years, free boats are usually WAY over priced.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

lol i agree about the overpriced thing. but my plan was to strip it and give it to the dump. just wondering how having the inline 6 block laying around for the right guy. im more interested in all the trim. cause my friend has the smaller smae lookin glastron with an outboard. all the trim and cleats and everything is real nice. so gut it and dump it. im always doin that. i dont think i want an out of production engine though. is that drive universal? or is it solely for the doa inline?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The drives are sellable if in good shape, the problem is, is the gear ratio. Most Volvo engines that use the 270 are either an IL4 or a V8, and they have a different gear ratio than either the 4 or 8.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

ill find out what ratio it is. if i cant at least i might come up with some numbers that one of the great guru's might be able to look up. what brands of engines will bolt up if any though? are there some? chevy? ford?