Old Date Code on New Tires

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
IMHO, anything approaching five years would be suspect. A lot depends on how they were stored.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Are the LTs radial? I read an article, summed up, that bias ply tires are preferred for trailers. There was a good explanation as to why which I have forgotten.

I have heard all the arguments over the years and I still choose to run LT radials on my trailers. They have been far more durable in the environment I tow my trailers in which a good majority is gravel roads, I also inspect them, check the air pressure in them eveery single trip and I keep them dressed with a UV protectant, during off season they are covered.

One of the largest rental companies in the world of utility trailers is U-Haul, check out how many of their trailers have ST tires on them, I just rented a flatbed last Monday to move a car and looked at their trailers again and they don't run ST tires all of them had heavy load range LT tires on them.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Interesting- I was going to refer to some past posts I've made concerning bias vs radial tires, complete with pics of a Marathon that I had blow out while parked in the harbor parking lot-- And all such posts have been completely edited out, nothing remains but my signature. And the nothing that remains also states I'M the one who did the editing...

Nope. Wasn't me.

So then, I see no reason to waste any more of my time posting up about my tire experiences and the pics to prove it, since some moderator will probably just delete it and give ME credit for it.

And if that's the attitude of those in charge, to delete honest opinion, facts and advice, for what purpose, to not **** off Goodyear--? -- then I'll take my opinions and facts elsewhere.

So Hasta la vista Iboats, it WAS fun, but not any more.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
LT tires need to be derated by 10% for trailers. That's the biggest problem with using LTs.