Old Date Code on New Tires

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just received in 4 Goodyear Marathon tires from Walmart. What caught my eye is the old date codes for each tire. All 4 have 4915 which I believe they were manufactured on the 49 week of 2015. Should I be concerned about this old date and if so should I complain to Walmart about them sending me old tires?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Yes you should be concerned, especially with trailer tires. Rubber compound is different between car tires and trailer tires. Car tires generally wear out from tread wear. Trailer tires generally deteriorate from time and environmental factors. Trailer tires have a shorter shelf life than normal automobile tires. I would not accept 21/2 year old trailer tires. Return them.

Last edited:

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is age that hurts trailer tires, more than wear, in most cases. I would take them back since you just lost about 2.5 years of use.

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dropping them off at Walmart on Monday to one of their Tire and Lube stores for a full refund. I am not sure how to proceed ordering another set of 4 to avoid getting old tires. Open to any suggestions.

fishrdan

Admiral
Dropping them off at Walmart on Monday to one of their Tire and Lube stores for a full refund. I am not sure how to proceed ordering another set of 4 to avoid getting old tires. Open to any suggestions.

Well, since you're buying them through WalMart, order in another set "Ship to Store" so you can inspect the tires before accepting them. Then while you're at the store, get a refund on the old "new" tires.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Just tell Walmart or whoever you get the tires from that tires date stamped more than 6 months ago will be unacceptable. If you have to, go somewhere else where they will accommodate you.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree, 2 1/2 years is a bit excessive but I would have no issues with 6 mo. to 12 mo. I think it's safe to assume that they were stored inside and may have even been wrapped.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You would not accept a 2-1/2 year old car, boat, or a bicycle for that matter when it is being sold as new (new being current model year) so why would you accept tires that old. A few years back I bought a new pontoon and trailer. The next spring I checked the tires before doing any traveling. To my surprise there were cracks in the grooves all the way around the tires. A check of the date code indicated they too were several years old. They were replaced by the dealer. To this day, when I buy tires I make it perfectly clear there had better be a date code less than 6 month old. I have not had an issue with any shop meeting that demand.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class

As stated above, I would demand tires less than 6 months old or go elsewhere to buy your tires.

I am impressed. Most people would have never checked the date codes.
As I stated earlier, trailer tires are usually used up by age, not by wear and tear. They just cut into your age by about 25%.

ahicks

Captain
Best of luck getting anything but a glossy eyed blank stare when discussing tire date codes with a Walmart employee.....

I can hear it now. Would you like a refund sir?

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree, 2 1/2 years is a bit excessive but I would have no issues with 6 mo. to 12 mo. I think it's safe to assume that they were stored inside and may have even been wrapped.

Unfortunately they were not wrapped and having a closer look the sidewalls appear botchy and chalky as if they have sun damage. I am so glad I checked the date codes because if they got mounted Walmart would not take them back. These are Goodyear Marathons that I also find out are no longer made in China. Looks like the manufacturer is trying to rid itself of these made in China tires on unsuspecting customers.I may try one of our local tire dealers and make it clear I will not accept any tires with date codes over 6 months old as stated on a few previous posts. Good lesson learned, buyer beware.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would also skip Goodyear Marathons. Are they even making them now that Goodyear came out with the USA made Endurance tires?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As much as I hate to screw local retailers, that's why I don't buy trailer tires locally. I buy from a large internet vendor with lots of turnover. I always get tires less than 6 months old.

I just bought a new car. It was ordered in March, built in early April and the tires were built in February. Not that car tires matter that much, but still nice to know...

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Walmart return went smoothly. I explained what had happened and they were not even concerned about selling old dated tires. I ended up finding another large online vendor whom I spoke for some time about date codes. I was assured, if I ordered tires from them, the date code would be less than 6 month's old. I placed an order for 5 Goodyear Endurance tires and was told I would have them delivered to my home by Wednesday.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My boat trailer runs 15" tires and I don't even run ST tires on them, I always put LT tires that are rated for heavier loads. I have been doing this for quite a few years now. Never had any problems with them.

Now I did go into the tire store the other day to have some tires switched to a new set of rims for my truck and they would not touch them, they said they were to old, now these tires have just about 4000 miles on them and they still said nope, to old. They are 5 years old next month.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
My boat trailer runs 15" tires and I don't even run ST tires on them, I always put LT tires that are rated for heavier loads. I have been doing this for quite a few years now. Never had any problems with them.

Now I did go into the tire store the other day to have some tires switched to a new set of rims for my truck and they would not touch them, they said they were to old, now these tires have just about 4000 miles on them and they still said nope, to old. They are 5 years old next month.

Are the LTs radial? I read an article, summed up, that bias ply tires are preferred for trailers. There was a good explanation as to why which I have forgotten.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Yes you should be concerned, especially with trailer tires. Rubber compound is different between car tires and trailer tires. Car tires generally wear out from tread wear. Trailer tires generally deteriorate from time and environmental factors. Trailer tires have a shorter shelf life than normal automobile tires. I would not accept 21/2 year old trailer tires. Return them.

So is there a standard at what age trailer tires should be replaced even if there is no cracking?