Old boat

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure if this is the right place or not. When I got back from VietNam, back in 70's, a guy gave me an old boat. 58 model, I think. It had a 35 hp Buccaneer engine and was a single hull fiberglass boat with balsa wood floatation . I was told that this was the only boat that the Buccaneer engine came on. Anyone remember these boats? What was the name/manufacture?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Old boat

Hi JCrain, <br /> The Gale Buccaneers were the "Force" motors of their day in that they were sold as an entry level motor, built by Johnson and Evinrude. They were not exclusively sold with any one brand of boat. They were well built motors and were generally offered in sizes a bit smaller than their Johnson and Evinrude counterparts, with perhaps a bit fewer of the advanced features. For example, when Evinrude and Johnson got the "premium" electric shift lower units, the Gale motors stuck with the tried and true mechanical shift.<br /> They had dropped the "Buccaneer" name by the late 1950s and went with "Gale" from then on, often with model names such as "Sovereign". I think OMC phased them out by the mid 1960s...<br /> I can't help you with the boat.... <br />- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

"For example, when Evinrude and Johnson got the "premium" electric shift lower units, the Gale motors stuck with the tried and true mechanical shift."<br />-----------------------------------<br /><br />Tried and true, indeed. I'd buy the old style motor in a minute over the electric shift one. In fact, for a motor you're going to actually use, of that age, the mechanical shift mechanism is a way better choice, even if you have to step back a bit in age.<br /><br />Just my opinion, of course.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi CAT,<br /> I put "premium" in quotes for that very reason. Although I like the engineering basis behind the electric shift units - quick, positive shifting with no grinding - the execution was less than perfect, especially over the long haul. And servicing is a nightmare, especially now - 40+ years after the fact...<br />- Scott

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys. The boat and motor are long gone. One of those "Stupid Human Tricks While Boating." I ran into an old high school friend and he asked about the boat. I can remember the Buccaneer, but not the brand of the boat. I DO remember the day, at around 25 mph, that the wave I was trying to go through decided to go through the boat instead.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

lmao@"I DO remember the day, at around 25 mph, that the wave I was trying to go through decided to go through the boat instead. " <br /><br />well said